Free-write triggered self injury

So tonight I was working on some free writing. Normally, free writing is very beneficial for me and helps relieve a lot of my traumas/anxieties. However, when I was writing tonight, it really stirred up some long forgotten emotions. Which-as I have said- is normally beneficial for me. But tonight, I’m really having a tough time working through the feelings that have come forward. I feel like a mess…And wish I knew how to cope in healthier ways. I’m feeling the desire to self mutilate. And I’ve been injury free for a few months now… But it can be so difficult to refrain when I’m feeling overwhelmed.
(Sigh)
I’m just hoping to fall asleep soon.

2 Likes

Hi friend, free writing is an amazing tool when you want to express yourself in a safe way. Im so proud of you for going there first and writing down your thoughts and feelings and then coming here to the support wall instead of going towards self harm.

Im sorry to hear that what normally helps you escape your anxiety has reopened a wound for you. Ive learned that sometimes writing and revisiting situations, especially when they’re still fresh can trigger the negative emotions associated with those wounds.

I have a special place in my journal when I don’t feel ready to write about what Im feeling. Its a page I created full of self affirmations to remind myself of how valuable, loved, and important I am. Some days are better than others and I can write about what Im feeling without being so affected but some days I dont want to relive my pain by writing it out.

Reading self affirmations are especially important when im in one of those moods because it reminds me that even though Im feeling low right now, tomorrow is a new day and I cant let this sadness consume me and steal my chance of being happy again. These are some of my favorite affirmations that help me get through those really rough patches. I hope these can help you get through whatever is troubling your heart right now :heart:

–You are worthy of relentless and unwavering love–

–You deserve to be loved as deeply as you love others–

–You are genuine, warm, and kindhearted–

–You are loved and appreciated by the people who know you best–

–You are so much more than any of your mistakes and failures–

–Growth is learning and unlearning–

2 Likes

@Kaycee
Thank you for your kind words and support. I really like your idea of writing positive affirmations. When I stop to think about it… I can’t remember one time I’ve written sometging nice about myself. Self reassurance is something I actively need to improve… especially during times of stress. So thank you so much for this idea!
:black_heart:
Eyeless

1 Like

@EyelessDoll I’m so glad this was able to help! Don’t worry if it feels awkward to write nice things about yourself in the beginning. It might take a little while to get used to but it is so worth it in the end. The days I’m in a good mood, I try to write down all my favorite qualities or the things friends have said to me that have really cheered me up over the years. I noticed I would only write when I was depressed or angry but never when I was happy. I try to journal everything now, the good and the bad, so I have something positive to look forward to on those days it’s really bad. I’m excited for you to create that special space in your journal dedicated to reminding you how unique, important, and wonderful you are :heart:

1 Like

@Kaycee
I just had my first journal entry that was solely based on positivity! Thanks again for the recommendation. It does feel weird writing positive affirmations about myself-because somehow it feels too entitled- (although it shouldn’t feel that way) but I did manage to write down three! :grin:

3 Likes

@e That’s amazing to hear!!! I’m so proud of you!! Yes it feels a little strange in the beginning but that’ll soon pass. If it helps, try reading them in the voices of your closest friends/people you love and trust most. You are so important and valuable and I hope you’re having a great week!

2 Likes