Gratitude during the seemingly impossible

This year, our community lost someone very special to an overdose. Katie was a huge part of my life, and I loved her like a little sister, losing her was one of the hardest things I’ve ever had to face, and I know many others took it hard too… It’s obvious this year has been incredibly difficult for everyone, and with this loss on top, it’s easy for me to say it has been one of the worst years of my life… However, today I had a realization that I have so much to be grateful for.

Since I came to this community over 3 years ago, God has allowed my paths to cross with so many incredible people, and I wanted to share my gratitude in hope that it will help someone else to see the good that has come out of this seemingly impossible year.

After losing Katie, I spiraled into a very deep depression that I thought I would never be able to come back from… However, God gave me the strength and courage I needed to reach out to the community and get the help and support to climb back out of that hole.

@Danjo. I will never be able to express the love I have for you. You’ve been beside me from my first day with HS, and you’ve never given up on me, even through those times I gave up myself. I know that there has been a lot happening in your life this year and that Katie’s death was as big a shock to you as it was to me, but you never stopped making sure I was supported in every decision and situation I faced, especially through this grieving process.

@taylor. Where do I start with you?! I love you so much. From the very start of your work with HS, you’ve been right here with me, always pushing me to do the best I can. Whenever I find it impossible to see the good in myself, you never fail to call out that lie and help to build me up. This year I have put up so many walls, but you have continued to break them down and help me to keep going, reminding me that even when I can’t feel it, I have so much love around me.

@HS_John. This year you have encouraged me to do things that I would usually just nope straight out of! (Credit to Casey for that terminology). Whenever I felt like giving up, you always continued to believe in me and never allowed me to give up… Every anxiety attack, you reassured me that you were right there with me and we succeeded each time.

Katiebugg, Nzkiwi, Jezliee and Busta… These guys as far as I know aren’t the forum, but I have to include them… As I mentioned earlier, after losing Katie, I spiraled into a depression I never thought I would get out of. However, when I finally came back to the community for help, these 4 people, without any hesitation, and without even knowing me that well, answered my call and offered their time and support, and have continued all become a very important part of my support circle.

What/Who are you grateful for this year?

7 Likes

@Kayla

I am grateful for God for being faithful to me and my loved ones. This has been a bad year for me because of personal problems, pandemic, my job being stressful, but I cannot let the bad moments get to me. I had good moments this year: I made new friends, I gone to other states to travel, enjoyed concerts, and I never give up. I am praying to change into the man the LORD wants me to be. I am not there yet. However, I am taking it one day at a time. I thank you and the rest of HeartSupport for encouraging me. All of you made an impact on my life. I love you all. <3

2 Likes

From a worldly point of view: I’m grateful that my wife and I have both held our jobs steady during the pandemic. I’m thankful that no one in my family has gotten sick.

As for personal growth, I’m grateful that I’ve come to know exactly who Jesus is in my life. I’m grateful for the step work that helped me realize I was staking my identity to all the wrong things, worldly things, and I’m thankful for the wisdom and humility to realize I still have a lot more work to do to find myself. I’m grateful for this community, which has given purpose to my pain and has rallied around me when I doubted myself the most. I’m thankful for @taylor creating an environment in her stream where I’m happy to pause my cynicism for a bit. I’m grateful for the social distancing helping me realize how much I took for granted the need for personal contact.

All this would not be possible without a newfound attitude of gratitude, which has helped me reflect on the things that are good instead of ruminating on the things that are wrong, and for that I’m thankful.

1 Like

Kayla - thank you so much for your words in this post. I only want to work to make you see who you really are :slight_smile: