HeartSupport Fan #60

It feels like I can’t control anything that’s happening in the country. I still go to work every day and feel so much anxiety about keeping myself and others safe. I need help understanding what I can control and how to let go of what I can’t control.

1 Like

Thank you for posting, HSFan#60. There certainly has been a LOT more to intake lately with current events and things in the news. Thinking about all of at once can be really draining and anxiety inducing so I totally understand where you are coming from. It takes work but I think you can find a balance where you don’t get crippling anxiety. If I may offer advice, you need to learn your boundaries, what is it that you need to take care of you? Personally I have had to take a step back and moderate my in take of news. I don’t really keep up with it but I am not down right ignoring it either. Focus on what makes you happy and feels better, find your zen zone. If that’s going for a walk, creating art, playing games, listening to music and having some alone time. For understanding what you can and cannot control is up to you. For example you can control what you see on the internet, how much time you spend looking at current events, you can control going to work and doing a good job, spending times with friends. I know it’s cliché to say but for the things you can’t, take it in, reflect on how you feel, talk to someone and then move on the best you can. If you live in the US, I want to say you are strong and brave. Despite all the things that are going on you have managed to survive and persevere through this difficult times. Just like the same way you got through 2020, you can do for this new year. Good luck!

Hey. I get it. I feel the exact same way. What my family and counselor says is control what you can. You can wear you mask, stay apart as much as you can, and take control of your home. How I let go of what I can’t control is by thinking that “will it affect my life (as in hurt me) or can I force people?” If the answers are no, then focused on those things in control (clean your room, do your homework, brush or walk you pet, those sort of things).

This topic was automatically closed after 100 days. New replies are no longer allowed.