HeartSupport_Fans Fans #220

I had to stop taking my antidepressants as I am pregnant. Transitioning back into no meds along with all these new changes and hormones is super hard. Seasonal depression looming right around the corner. Thank you for posting this. It was a much needed after today. Much appreciation to you Ricky. And much love and thoughts to you in these tough times. :black_heart:

2 Likes

Hi Friend, Congratualtions on you pregnancy. Goodness that is a lot to contend with isnt it? I have often wondered what happens during that time if you cannot take your medication, Did you doctor not suggest alternatives for you? This is obviously a time in your life when you are are not supposed to get overly stressed which is sounding increasingly difficult. I wonder if its worth looking for a good meditation app that can help you to relax and centre yourself a couple of times a day? or ask at your anti natal class if there is anything available for people in a similar situation, there are many people that must have this issue so that has to be something. it really could be worth asking around. I hope you can find something and that you can get through all of this in relative peace. Good luck friend, we are here for you if you need us. Much Love lisa x

1 Like

Hey friend. Thank you so much for sharing such significant parts of what you are going through these days. I believe this topic – pregnancy while being depressed – is something that is not discussed enough, and women are too often left alone to deal with things they can’t really change. I can only imagine how challenging this must be for you – the absence of your regular medications, the hormonal changes and the approach of winter. Being depressed myself, not yet a mom but currently on antidepressants, I already fear this time of having to put away medications for the time that would be necessary to give life in healthy conditions. It feels awful to say that it does weight on the balance of questioning the possibility of having a child. Projecting this time feels like having to jump into a dark cliff without safety net, for a natural life experience that so many would walk through with less struggles. It truly is unfair to not have the possibility of both pregnancy and peace of mind/quality of life while struggling with depression. I want you to know that I see you today. I hear you. Your battles are not invisible, and what you are doing is so admirable. You truly are a superhero – even if not by choice, your strength has to be acknowledged and your resilience celebrated. With a parent like you, I bet your little one will have a beautiful example in their life, of hope and perseverance. If you ever need to vent, share what’s on your heart during these tough times, you will always be welcomed at Heartsupport. There’s an entire community willing to support you, without any pressure, without any expectation. Only love and care. You got this, friend. <3

Hey there, congratulations on the pregnancy! I just wanted to let you know that I have totally been there, you are not alone. It’s so hard switching back to the meds, especially with the raging hormones that come along with pregnancy and childbirth. Just remember to keep that open communication with your support circle around you. It’s so important to voice how you are feeling! Sending all the best wishes your way!

Well done for taking this step, friend. <3 Being on antidepressants can be a huge crutch, but it’s surely a journey in itself to transition to not taking them anymore. You feel all of these withdrawals side effects, physically and emotionally, which feels like an endurance race some days. My heart goes out to you as I’m currently experiencing the same change, although not with the struggle of dealing with hormonal changes on top of it. I can only imagine how much challenging it must be for you in these circumstances. Although there is surely light to find at the end of the tunnel as you are navigating this transition for a very good reason. Personally it’s been helpful to try to welcome things as they are, even if it’s stressful to not know for how long it’s going to last. The headaches, the lack of focus, the sudden crying spells, the flu-like symptoms… It sucks, and there’s this little voice in the back of your mind that can make you wonder if you’re going to be okay without this “protection” that is the medication. Making sure to get some fresh air and going outside everyday, as well as hydrating a lot and taking naps, has been a good support overall. Somehow, it helps a little bit to surrender to the process and welcome whatever may come with gentleness and care. You got this, friend! I’m rooting for you. :orange_heart:

Hey Friend! :hugs:

I’m really sorry to hear that you’re going through such a tough time right now. Transitioning off antidepressants while pregnant can indeed be tough, as your body and emotions adapt to these changes. It’s important to prioritize both your physical and emotional well-being during this period.

Remember that you’re not alone in this journey. Many others have faced similar challenges, and it’s completely normal to have ups and downs. Your strength and resilience in sharing your experience are truly commendable.

You’ve taken a positive step by reaching out and acknowledging your feelings. It’s essential to lean on your support system, whether it’s friends, family, or a healthcare provider who can offer guidance tailored to your unique situation.

Pregnancy can bring about a rollercoaster of emotions, and it’s okay to seek help and support when needed. While it might feel like seasonal depression is looming, remember that you have the strength to navigate through it, and brighter days are ahead.

Take one step at a time, be kind to yourself, and prioritize self-care. If you ever want to talk or share more about your experiences, know that there are people here who care and are willing to listen. You’re doing an incredible job, and I’m sending warm and supportive thoughts your way. :two_hearts: