Back to heartsupport

Help, I’m being abused

I’m an adult , what do I do if I’m being abused emotionally and psychologically? My neighbor is in a domestic violence situation. My parents are abusing me. They will deny it and deny it. Making me look crazy. Gaslighting, and crazy making. Manipulation and control. A lot of tactics. They have very good reputations. How do I get help for myself?

1 Like

Hi savs,

I’m sorry to see that you are being psychologically and emotionally abused. As someone who went through the same, I know how difficult and hopeless it all can feel.

Abusers generally won’t admit that they are abusive, because they tend to feel like their actions are justified and that they are doing nothing wrong. Often times as well, they maintain good reputations with those outside of the home because it makes it all the more unbelievable that they would actually be an abuser.

There is one good thing about your situation. You are an adult. You are not legally bound to your parents for being a minor, and so you can legally leave any time you want. I know this is easier said than done, especially since abusers tend to isolate their victims from the world, and since you have been abused I imagine the idea of leaving probably scares you. I don’t mean to assume, just going off of how I felt.

Are you employed?

If not, perhaps start by looking for shelters or aid programs for abused women. I know I’ve seen some resources for people in the US, but I couldn’t begin to really offer anything too specific without knowing anything about where you live and you are not obligated to provide that information. I would also look into therapy options that use sliding scale or medicaid as payment if you are not employed.

I hope this helped. Stay strong, friend.

hello savs
sorry to hear that…
is there any organization that you could rely on and ask for help.
i would never say that you should stay in an abusive situation but the fact is you are already hurt and ofcourse home is supposed to be the safest place for you i am so sorry that it is not so you should look after a trustful organization or a trustful person some one you are sure that wont hurt you more…
stay strong stand for yourself and life and as charles bukowski said in one his poets “there are ways out” at least that’s how i myself calm down
take care
A.A

I’m also an adult 46 actually, I was “gaslighted” my whole child hood and most all of my adult life also. Been seeking therapy for 30 years now and just learned what gaslighting is. Sorry I won’t presume to have all the answers or even some of them but I am new here and hoping that I can get some peace through this site. I hope the best for you.

1 Like

Hey @savs,

Thinking of you. I hope you are safe and taking care of yourself. We’re all rooting for you. :hrtlegolove:

There are organizations that can help. There are domestic violence websites and hotlines as well. I’m currently involved in a program in my state that offers free counseling & help to find a shelter if needed. I’m obviously unsure of your complete circumstance, so if physical abuse is a factor, please be safe and don’t alert your abusers to what you’re doing. I wish you the best. Be easy on yourself as you’re healing. I’m not sure if we’re allowed to post hotline numbers here. I’m very new to the site.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.