How my depression and anxiety has shaped me as a person to live each day/some tips to take care of yourself

I’ve been in therapy well over half of my life, and it sucks. Therapy doesn’t suck because I don’t like it, therapy sucks because I sit in a chair for an hour talking to someone who i hardly know about some intense feelings that I do not know how to manage on my own. Sometimes all you need is a friend, or a group of friends to push you a little bit farther than you feel comfortable going to get the help you need. I have a group of people that surround me and help me live each day as comfortably as possible. The reality is you’re going to have days where you need to come back and talk to someone, and you’re gonna have bad days where you’re going to sit in bed and cry… But more often, you’re gonna have days that you get out of bed early, cook yourself breakfast, get to school/work early and accomplish more work than you needed to do, and you’re gonna have days where you feel really good and you are able to reach out to someone who needs the help you once needed. It takes a long time to learn to do and it isn’t an easy thing. I am still/will be reaching out here because the truth is that i am broken and slowly i am being patched and that is okay. if you are broken and being patched, or not being patched it is hard but its okay to be you.
Living with depression and anxiety is single-handedly the most difficult thing I have been put through. It has helped me grow and it has shaped me into the person I am today.
I, through heartsupport and the support of my friends and family have advanced more in the last 6 months mentally that i have in the last year. I’ve had some ups and downs but i’m here, breathing and im in a decent head space. take care yourselves my friends. Here are some tips that have helped me, and truly, your road to recovery never dead ends because you can never be too content.
Happiness is a learned perspective
Eating properly helps physical/mental health (if people want recipes hit me up)
Picking up writing, playing music, drawing art, and wood carving has helped me unwind and be me
You don’t need to be religious to appreciate the teachings within religion (Buddhism especially)
Keeping up good hygiene helps the way you feel about yourself
Cutting out toxicity especially within friend groups is incredibly difficult but very crucial to recovery
Some days are going to be worse than others, its okay to sit and cry about nothing/everything
It will be okay, dont take the little things for granted but also dont focus on every little detail about your situation. We love you either way.
Set little goals for yourself
Treat yourself every once in a while, you deserve it <3.

If anyone needs advice or has questions feel free to hit me up on this thread or tag me in another. I love you all, take care of yourselves.

3 Likes

Thank you for sharing this.
I’m glad to hear you’re progressing and doing well. I’m so grateful that you’re a part of this community and a friend. Keep fighting and thank you for being here for those that need it.

Hold fast guys
Kayla

1 Like

Thank you so much for sharing, @StHaTaDi-Ethan! I’m sure you’ve seen me posting my personal list around the forums, and I’d recommend trying to implement a few of these exercises in order to continue to battle against depression/anxiety. You’re strong! :slight_smile:

• Take deep breaths whenever you think about breathing (“4-7-8 Method”)
  • Consider taking moon-enhancing tablets (Omega-3, 5-MTHF)
  • Make sure to get enough sleep (Go to bed early)
  • Watch/listen to your favorite comedian to boost your spirit
  • Exercise (Swim, if possible)
  • Download Headspace/Breath (iOS meditation apps)
  • Activate essential oil diffusers (lavender) and mood lights
  • Temporary change to relaxing music (i.e. Hammock)

-Eric

1 Like