How to find something worth living for?

Recovering from addiction requires motivation. That may be family, friends, a job, traveling, hobbies. Whatever that may be someone is interested in.

But what if none of that exists? I am socially isolated and don’t have a job. I don’t experience neither joy nor general interest in anything. There is nothing I consider worth living for (and yes, I ask myself why I’m still alive then). How am I supposed to let go of something which is the only thing that is left, the only thing that is there to hold on to? I tried to figure out any interests, but nothing comes up, nothing I come across sparks any interest.

5 Likes

hi again friend,

recovering from addiction has to be a hard path, and it can be a bit of a drag as your brain and body change and get used to a new reality.

for starters, you’re here with us :slight_smile:
that’s something that could be interesting to you?
Are you interested in streaming and games? music? general positivity? HeartSupport on Twitch has a whole bunch of streamers that cover a wide array of interests!

Are you into reading ,art, music?
Can you go out and do things? is the social isolation something that keeps you away from trying out new stuff?
There are sooo many things to explore and learn and just have fun with, and many can be done at home! Cooking, crafting, music, gardening.

What are the things that made you happy in the past? Fond memories of places or activities? I’m sure we can go through some lists until we find something that could be a fun thing to try!

1 Like

Hi blini,

First and foremost, I’m so proud of you for choosing to take the hard path of recovery. And I’m glad you’re here, sharing your thoughts with us.

I agree with @Sita and their questions about what has made you happy in the past. I’d love to hear some of your favorite memories that have stuck with you through the years and what made them special for you.

Alternatively, what are some things that you’ve wanted to experience but haven’t had the chance to do yet? There’s a lot to be said for losing yourself in a hobby or pastime, but I think that part of the beauty of the world is the enormous variety of experiences that are available to us. Maybe rather than diving deep into a single subject or activity, you’ll find joy in the act of trying new things. Finding a local club for an activity you’ve never tried before, signing up for a class on a subject you don’t know much about, or traveling somewhere you’ve never been before (with considerations for safety right now, obviously).

There’s so much out there to experience, I hope you’ll consider trying something new as you also reflect on what brought you joy in the past

2 Likes

There is this paradox while recovering from an addiction/addictive behavior that you describe very well. On one hand, we need a motivation. Something that drives us and will keep being a pillar of strength to us, especially during the lowest times, the ones we are likely to relapse or give up. On the other hand, we are so caught up in the eye of the storm that it gets hard to have the perspective of an outsider, to see the situation from the above, and not as a daily battle.

• Why have you posted here first? What came to your mind?
  • What are the things that are meaningful to you? Yes relationships, work and family are the most common things around that we are used to see as what grounds our life.
    But what is your heart made of?
  • If you knew that your time would be limited, what regrets would you have and what would you try to pursue?
  • What are the values you hold on to in your life?

I see you around helping others too. And I don’t want to assume anything, but I think there is a real value in your experiences just because it can allow you to create healing connections with others. My personal struggles never made sense. My traumas never made sense. I lost so much with unhealthy habits such as eating disorders too. But something I never envisioned while battling was that, one day, once peace would have settled a little bit in my heart and mind, I would be in a position to finally create meaning around those experiences. To finally decide what I do with it, and not the opposite. To bring a purpose to it, which is to use those experiences as a way to connect with people who are going through the same. To be this friendly voice that I wish I’d have heard when I needed it. To ease the loneliness and the fears that one could feel, because I would have been there.

Maybe this could resonate with your heart too?

In the end, I also find that to keep on fighting may not always be for what we know or would identify already, but for creating the possibility to something else, something different. Allowing ourselves to just have a chance to be surprised by what this life has to offer. Both the good and bad, but at least existence away from the patterns that are chains to us. For the possibility to enjoy rays of sun on your skin during the morning without having to be worried about your next urge to use. For the possibility to explore, experiment, and take all the time you need to figure out what you want in this life with a more peaceful and rested mindset. For the right that you own, to live life as a whole adventure without the burden of addiction. For the right to fail, to win, but beyond anything to try, like anyone else does.

"Oh me! Oh life! of the questions of these recurring,
Of the endless trains of the faithless, of cities fill’d with the foolish,
Of myself forever reproaching myself, (for who more foolish than I, and who more faithless?)
Of eyes that vainly crave the light, of the objects mean, of the struggle ever renew’d,
Of the poor results of all, of the plodding and sordid crowds I see around me,
Of the empty and useless years of the rest, with the rest me intertwined,
The question, O me! so sad, recurring—What good amid these, O me, O life?

Answer.

That you are here—that life exists and identity,
That the powerful play goes on, and you may contribute a verse."

4 Likes

It can be hard to find joy in anhedonia. It’s something many people, especially those with mental health disorders, struggle with. How am I supposed to have fun when nothing sounds fun? What am I supposed to do when nothing appeals?

I wish I had a good answer for you. It would mean I had that answer for myself too. The best thing I can say is just try something, anything that may seem mildly interesting. For me, it was drawing. I hadn’t drawn for fun since I was a kid, and believed I simply couldn’t. Then I did one day last summer, and found it therapeutic and entertaining. I started drawing when my demons were loudest, bleeding on the paper to make sense of it, pouring emotion into my work, and in that way making something productive out of times of torment. For you it may not be drawing, but maybe think of creating an outlet for your demons instead of letting them eat at you.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 365 days. New replies are no longer allowed.