I am really nervous

Hi I have had ten panic attacks today and seven yesterday I feel like I can’t breathe right now and am reaching out of desperation for help so if anyone can help me please help

3 Likes

Hey BryceKcarey, I am going to share the 54321 method to help you right now

Start with deep breathing. Breathe in for 5 seconds, hold the breath for 5 seconds, and breathe out for 5 seconds. Continue this pattern until you find your thoughts slowing down.

1. Acknowledge 5 THINGS around you that you can SEE- Maybe it’s a clock on the wall, chewing gum on the floor, clouds moving past, however big or small, recognize 5 items you can see with your eyes.

2. Acknowledge 4 THINGS around you that you can TOUCH- Maybe it’s your computer at work, the park bench you are sitting on, your cell phone, your wallet or purse. Recognize 4 items you can feel with your hands or body.

3. Acknowledge 3 THINGS around you that you can HEAR- Maybe it’s the buzz of the copy machine, the laughter of children at the park, birds chirping, construction work down the street. Use your fine tuning and see if you can hear ambient sounds you may not normally tune into- the hum of the air conditioner, clocks ticking, cars going by. Name 3 things that are audible to you.

4. Acknowledge 2 THINGS around you that you can SMELL. This one may be tricky if you are not in a stimulating environment. If you cannot automatically sniff something out, walk nearby to find a scent. Maybe you walk to your bathroom to smell soap or outside to smell anything in nature, or even could be as simple as leaning over and smelling a pillow on the couch, a pencil or hey do a check to see how your deodorant is working today. Whatever it may be, take in the smells around you.

5. Acknowledge 1 positive THING around you that you can taste is the most common way to end this exercise, but I like instead that you acknowledge one positive thing about yourself. Anxiety can leave us feeling inadequate, or silly that we are getting “worked up over nothing”, but taking time to address your feelings is an accomplishment. There are many good things about you. Positive thinking can help bring about a positive feeling in yourself. And finally at level 1, I also recommend taking one more big deep breath.

If you find this helps you and you calm down, when you are feeling better I would advise you to go and talk to someone about these reoccuring attacks, something in your life needs to change to prevent them and how you manage them. Please calm yourself first though by following the method ive sent you. x

2 Likes

Thank you so much I will try that

hi bryce,

the 54321 method that lisa shared is mega helpful - i hope you find stability in it as much as i have! i also want to say that i’m sorry you have had so many panic attacks today. 10 attacks is ten too many and i hope you’re able to reach out to a professional when you can to find the root to what’s causing these attacks. are you staying hydrated btw? i know that’s always my own downfall after my own anxiety/panic attacks so i hope you can drink a glass of water soon! you’re loved, valued, and mega strong, bryce!!

love,
twix

I’m sorry that you’re going through that. If you can maybe talking to your parents or dr about these attacks could be helpful. Sometimes breathing exercises can help. Lowers the heart rate and stress levels. You could try box breathing. In for four seconds, hold for four seconds, out for four seconds, hold for four seconds.

remind yourself that it’s temporary and that it’s going to pass. Know you’re not going to be stuck in that moment forever.

1 Like

Hi Brycekcarey I’m sorry you’re having panic attacks. One thing I like to do that helps me is breathing really slow. Like 7 seconds in and then 11 seconds out. It really helps when you can get control over your breathing because when we are having a panic attack we forget to breathe and that makes it worse. Hope this helps! ~Mystrose

1 Like

Goodness, I am so sorry that you have panic attacks so frequently. Those are not fun and can definitely make it difficult to function. Lisa gave some great tips. I hope they work for you. If they don’t then maybe my tricks will. I would do the opposite of what she suggests. I would close my eyes and cover my ears and try to cut off all of my senses as much as possible and imagine myself in a better place that made me feel less afraid. Sometimes I would also hide in a small, dark space to feel safer.

Everyone has different things that can help them cope with panic attacks and sometimes knowing the triggers can help you find yours. I hope that you can find something to help you not only make it through your panic attacks but help keep them from coming up altogether. Good luck! :hrtlegolove:

2 Likes

Hey Bryce,

I am sorry you are experiencing all of this. I see a lot of good, sage advice here on how to handle these situations. I hope you find luck with this moving forward, friend.

1 Like

that absolutely sucks, really sorry that this is happening. Hopefully you have a rest from this anxiety and I also hope that there’s at least one good coping skill you can use that helps you in those moments.

I am so sorry that you are having panic attacks, and so often. It must feel horrible not being able to breathe. I hope you feel a bit better now and were able to sleep. Are you seeking professional treatment, like medication or therapy? That can make a huge difference.

The method Lisa described is so helpful, have you tried it out?

Headspace also has a meditation that can help during a panic attack, feel free to try it out if you like to, it only takes three minutes.

Stay strong, we are here for you. :hrtlegolove: