I can’t call her

My doctor referred me to a psychiatrist.
Which is a good thing I guess. It’s way overdue to be honest.
She wants me to try antidepressants, which I wouldn’t mind, but my family does. I know I don’t have to tell them or care about that they think or say, but it scares me.
I have come to terms with making an appointment, so I looked up the person my doctor suggested, just to find out she doesn’t have an email address and I can only call her.
I am terrified of making phone calls. They give me so much anxiety.
I know I can earliest call her tomorrow, but I’m on the edge of a panic attack ever since I found out I actually have to call her to get an appointment.

At least she isn’t far from where I live, but if I just could have sent her an email, I would have by now and everything would be fine.
I’m so much better at writing shit than using actual words and having to say shit.

I’m so terrified.

3 Likes

I level with this so much. I am terrified of making phone calls for reasons unknown to me. What’s better is I have to make cold calls occasionally for my job which always causes me to have a mild panic attack. I’m hoping that after some time getting used to it it won’t be so bad.

I honestly don’t really have any suggestions other than to just do it - like ripping off a band-aid. It will suck while you’re doing it but you will feel a lot better afterwards.

2 Likes

I’m also scared of making phone calls, but probably not quite as much as you…

I have not gotten over it… I know that I never will… but I think maybe writing a Literal LETTER
might be an option, if you know the address.

2 Likes

I seriously considered an actual letter, I mean, she’s a psychiatrist, she should be used to slightly crazy.
I don’t know.

1 Like

Hello, are you me?! Phone calls are SO hard, aren’t they? I still struggle with them all the time and I have to make them so often for work. The thing that helps me most is to try to remember that the person on the other line probably doesn’t want to pick up as much as I don’t want to call. You could also try writing out what you’re going to say, so you don’t lose your words in the panic. I also try to practice deep breathing to trick my body into not feeling as much anxiety. Good luck!

2 Likes

Hey fiji, hope you’re doing OK today. I actually understand the anxiety that phone calls can cause, or the wait for a phone call, or the time leading up to making a phone call… Maybe you could email your doctor and ask if THEY have the email for the psychiatrist?? If not, it might be helpful to make yourself a “script” of what you want to say and what you expect them to say and how you would respond… I know sometimes that helps me, and even if the call goes “off script” I feel better having planned for it. You’re definitely not alone in feeling like phone calls suck. <3

1 Like

also just wanna say, hating phone calls isn’t crazy, and neither is finding an alternate way of communicating (re: the letter writing suggestion). ANY way you find that helps you do something is a GOOD way to do it!

2 Likes

Girl, same. It makes no sense, but I don’t even order pizza if I have to call them. When I do have to make phone calls, I try to make a list of points I need to cover so I don’t struggle with my mind going blank mid-call. The psychiatrist should understand your nervousness, and probably deals with that kind of thing regularly. You can make it through this. We’re all rooting for you!

3 Likes

Update:
I intentionally called her a bit before she opened to see if she’s here yet.
She didn’t pick up, but her answering machine said to leave a message.
I hung up.
But I made myself call again and leave a name and number to call back. It was so stressful.

The entire day I’ve been nervous about her calling me back, and in the evening she did.

She sounded pretty nice and I got an appointment this week. Also, I was shaking for hours after the call. I am so anxious about the appointment. Every time I think about it, I lose my breath.

3 Likes

Hey @fiji, you did it. That’s so awesome. I’m extremely anxious as well when it’s about phone calls - and I don’t know why, maybe because there isn’t any way to see the person and their body language? - and I’m aware of how crippling it can be on a daily basis.

You did it! That’s worth celebrating, friend. For what it’s worth, I’m proud of you. You’re doing this for your well-being and that’s some huge steps.

I hope your appointment will go as you expect and she’ll be as nice as she sounds <3. The perspective is stressful but you got this friend. One step after another. Right now you are safe, you just did something amazing. :hrtlegolove:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.