I can’t get used to my appearance

I’m guessing this sounds really weird lol
But I really cannot get used to how I look. It’s a really strange feeling but I’ll try my best to somehow put it into words; every time I look into the mirror I don’t feel like I’m looking at myself. Rather I feel like I’m staring at another person, in a way. It’s like I’m looking at someone but not me.
I can’t recall for how long this has been going on but for way too long, that’s for sure. I wanted to talk to my therapist about it in the past but I just couldn’t get the words out.

5 Likes

I am not one to diagnose people but I feel you may have some body dysmorphia. I highly recommend you talk to a therapist about this. But what I suggest is to pluck out details you physically like about yourself, and whenever you feel that way remember that physical part you like and grow from there!

3 Likes

It makes some sense, that’s really all I can say about it. I don’t know how to help you.

3 Likes

I can relate a little bit. I like @Sky-Trev’s suggestions. One step at a time. One day at a time.

3 Likes

Does it Sort of like it feel like you’re depersonalising? Not a diagnosis or intending to suggest that it is because there is a lot to unpack with it and only a professional can give diagnosis; but in the sense that you feel alienated or disconnected to your body?
I think it’s a great idea to talk to a professional about it. Let us know how you go!

4 Likes

I wouldn’t say you are diagnosing, depersonalization is more of a symptom than anything. So I wouldn’t worry about diagnosing, its just pointing out a symptom really. :] @e.thehuman

2 Likes

@Sky-Trev I understand, it’s important to preface those kinds of things I believe. Some people may go down a Rabbit hole or feel like they’ve found something that defines them, but it’s always important to know that people can display characteristics of various things. unless there’s a professional diagnosis it’s important not to get too stuck on the idea.

1 Like

Of course! Makes sense! :]

2 Likes

dont worry baby, trust me i still think im ugly. I promise you you will know otherwise when you grow up. Dont thank bad about yourself, its not good.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.