Back to heartsupport

I can't escape my past and I'm afraid of my future

Ricky Horror from Motionless In White shared his struggles with depression and attempted suicide. Ricky Horror tells a story of survival, that he believes you can experience too.

One of the key issues that Ricky found in his own life was that he wasn’t living in the moment. Ricky said reading The Power of Now helped him shift his focus away from the past and future and into the present.

“All of our issues come from not living in the moment. You can’t live in the past because it’s gone, and your future doesn’t exist yet so you have to live in the now,” Ricky said.

Are you feeling like you’ll never be able to dig yourself out of the hole you’re in, or you’ll never be able to run from your past? This mindfulness exercise can help you tune into the present moment.

Next Steps

1. Take 4 deep breathes (inhale for 4 seconds and exhale for 6 seconds)
  2. Notice your surroundings find 5 things you can SEE, 4 things you can TOUCH, 3 things you can HEAR and 2 things you can SMELL.
  3. Check in with your body. How are you feeling different than you when you started this exercise?
  4. Write 3 things that you can be grateful for in this present moment, as you try to put the past and future aside.

Share your responses below

2 Likes
  1. 5 things I can see - grass, high rise buildings, trees, people, clouds. 4 things I can touch - towel, water bottle, phone, backpack. 3 things I can hear - people talking, cars below, air conditioner 2 things I can smell - sun tan lotion, my conditioner

2.After doing this exercise, my mind feels clearer and more focused. My heart rate has also slowed down and my body feels less tense

1. Three things I have to be grateful for in the present moment. 1. I am outside in the sun. 2. I have a job that I love 3. I am physically healthy and just had a good snack.
2 Likes

@taylorpalmby

1. 5 things I see: my phone, my laptop, my pets, a clock hanging on my house’s wall, and my headphones.
    4 things I can touch: chair I am sitting, laptop’s keyboard, my hands, and my dog’s fur.
    3 things I can hear: the clock’s tick, cars driving by outside of my house, and birds.
    2 things I can smell: flowers and febreze.

2. I feel a little better while doing this exercise.

3. 3 things I am grateful for: God, I am living in my house safe and sound, and drinking water.