I don’t know why I feel the way that I do!

I graduated two years ago with a film production degree! And at one point I did have aspersions to be in the film industry and I rededicated my life to Christ about a year and a half ago the. I thought that I would be honoring God to use my gifts and talents for faith based film but for the past year I have felt something change in my heart I don’t feel the passion anymore not to mention I keep getting doors shut in my face and there is no possible way to peruse it right now!!! I don’t know if I am just you going through a depression right now or if God is taking me through a transition to do in my life what I have wanted him to do for a long time… I just want to make the right choice for my life and do what God wants but it’s hard to trust my feelings right now!!!

4 Likes

Depression can be like a fever. It can alert you that something in your life isn’t right and you need to reevaluate.

The fact that you want to live for God is huge! It puts you miles ahead of anyone of faith who tries to do things their way and wonders why God isn’t helping them.

My worst depressed period was when I was trying to force myself through college because it’s what I “had to do.” I didn’t really want to be there, and in retrospect neither did God. I am so extraordinarily blessed to have dropped out and worked my way into my dream career in spite of it. It took me 7 years and 3 job changes to wind up in my dream position, all of which seemed to come out of nowhere; now the dream is getting tiring, and I’m trying to figure out what else God might have in store for me.

All that being said, God’s answers aren’t always obvious, logical, or timely in our terms. Maybe right now, God’s plan is for you to pursue film production in something more mainstream that will allow you to hone your skills and really appreciate when a faith-based opportunity comes along. Or maybe He wants you to take your faith into a space where it’s needed. Serving God with your career is more of a mindset and a spiritual act than a simple job.

1 Like

I feel like maybe God is changing my desires and me since I have rededicated my life to the Lord!!! In all honesty when I decided to go to film school I believed in God and was raised in the church but I wasn’t walking with God… I got attracted to the fame fortune and good times that Hollywood and the film industry allure people in with. But I now see that isn’t Gods plan for my to film my life with those things and maybe my motives haven’t line up with his and like you maybe he does infact have something else planned for me and now I am ready for him to start taking me down that path rather the other one that has only been distracted from his plan all along. Right now I am taking a break from film and focusing on the new passions he has called me to and praying a lot in the meantime!!! The wY I see it if God wants me in the film industry he will bring back into it at the right time and all the doors will open and nothing will stop them or if it is something else he wants me to do he will lead me there and nothing will stop that…

2 Likes

That’s great! I’m glad you’re able to redirect instead of getting crushed by an unmet expectation! Keep in touch with your classmates and look out for networking opportunities, and you’d be shocked what comes up! In the meantime, I look forward to hearing more about the directions He takes you!

Right now I have reflected on things! Sometimes we have to let things go so God can do and bring the things we need into are lives. It’s possible that at one point in my life I wanted to be in the film industry but that may not be what I need… I am giving it to God allowing him to open the right doors for me right now…

2 Likes

My cousin got a degree in Film Production, and he’s been working in breweries since he graduated and now owns one. You just never know!

I am open to whatever else God wants me to do even if it’s not using my degree!!! I don’t really have the desire for it anymore and I feel like I am being moved in a different direction…

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.