I dont see a kind ending to my story

I’m stuck in an odd position…well, odd to me.

Backstory time…
In 2015 I lost my job, and in many ways my identity up to that point in my life.
I’m married and and have 3 amazing kids.

After I lost that job, I felt like I lost a huge piece of me.
I sank into a deep, deep depression.
I lost my self worth, my identity as a provider, father and who I saw myself as. I couldn’t find a job for a long time and when I did, I just couldn’t make it work. My depression fucked with me badly. The only way I knew how to deal with it was cutting myself off from loved ones, burst of anger and yelling and breaking things.
I never raised my hand against my children or my wife, but they did get full blasts of yelling and other verbal abuse that to this day i regret and wish i could mend the wounds caused by this time.
I wasnt myself.
I wasnt the person my wife fell in love with.
I was my worst self.
In the winter of 2017, i attempted to take my own life. I took my wife’s newly purchased pistol, loaded it and drove to a secluded park. This was it. I couldn’t take the loneliness that I had caused. I couldn’t take the anger my wife had towards me for my actions, and the lack of love towards me. And I completely understood her side of it and would react the same way if the shoe was on the other foot. But I couldn’t do it. I thought of my kids and how they would react not having their father with them through their formative years. I reached out to the suicide hotline and attempted to figure things out. I couldn’t, so I cut off communication with them. Eye opening mistake.
They called the authorities and they showed up to my home, fully ready to take down a suicide attempt via firearm. I told them I was fine. I have been having issues with the wife and my life and just needed help. They offered to take me to the local psychiatric hospital, but I told them no. I felt that would just add more layers to my shame and
It took me another year after that incident to even gather the strength to admit i needed help and i couldn’t get it unless i went to a therapist and my doctor to get on the right meds.

September of last year, I left home with my brother to go to truck driving school.
I did this for 2 reasons, one so I could make a better paid living for my wife and kids. Two, to help my brother get back into the world and workforce after being laid off for 3 years and dealing with medical issues.
I didnt realize how hard it would be being away from my wife and kids for long periods of time. It's killing me.
I'm on the road 27 days out of the month and only home for 3-4 days and then back on the road.
I hate it.
I cant fix my relationship with my wife being on the road. I cant make a better life for myself being stuck in a rolling box for nearly a month at a time.

Fast forward to this past Wednesday(07/17). I'm meeting with my therapist. My wife hates that I'm seeing someone for my issues. She doesn't understand why I need to take meds or talk to someone in order to feel better.
She's completely shut off from me. I see that and feel that. We dont sleep in the same room anymore, haven't for almost a year and a half. We haven't been close or intimate in nearly 3 years.
I've reached the point to where I need to know once and for all where she stand and where things are headed in her eyes.
I ask her, one last time(which at this poi t had become a monthly routine for the past 3 months). I ask her does she love me? Does she want to make things work? Does she want to make a better life with me or without me?

I get the usual answer of "it isnt that simple".
To me, it is. I love her, nothing will change that short of her just flat out telling me she doesn't love me anymore. I tell her this.

She doesn't want to open up again and be hurt like I hurt her.
She doesn't want to give in to the chance that I'll revert to being the asshole I was for 3 and a half years before i sought help and felt better about my self and began to notice a change in myself and perspective on my life.
She doesn't like that I'm gone all the time, but in the same breath she says she doesn't think things would be better if i were home.
She equated our relationship to that of the relationship I had with my father in high school and college. We weren't close. We fought all the time. Difference of opinion and typical father son headbutting on life. I didnt hate my father. I love my father. But I was always angry with him for how he treated me when I was younger. The yelling and hitting when I did even the littlest thing wrong.(I basically repeated this cycle sans the hitting when I was in my dark period).

This hit me like a ton of bricks. I understood what she meant all too well.
She still loves me, but isnt willing to be in love with me and be hurt again despite my assurances that wont happen.
I dont know how to prove her otherwise. She is a very stubborn person. It's one of the reasons why I love her. When she makes her mind up, nothing can change her mind. It's rare. She is her mother's daughter.

So now, I feel the darkness creeping up. Feeding on the self doubt and self hate.
I dont want to lose my kids...but in my head they are a package deal with my wife.
They go hand in hand.

I messaged my wife this morning. I told her that if she wasnt willing to work on things, to be able to allow me back in even if it is just a civil conversation and just time together. No sexual or intimate things...just being around each other. If she isnt willing or wanting to have a better relationship with me, then I'll take myself fully out of the situation.
She doesn't want a divorce, she's said so. But in the same conversation she has said she isnt going to be unhappy the rest of her life. She isnt going to settle for what we have at the moment.
It's confusing to me and I'm sure it is confusing to her as well.

I told her I would just leave her and the kids alone. That she can do whatever she wants with my things at the house. They have no meaning to me without them.
She told me she doesn't know what I mean. That my kids expect me to be in their lives.
I told her that without her, I have very little in my life. She's told me in the past that the kids are better off when I'm not home. That they dont really notice I'm gone(this really shocked me when she told me this).
The kids have their mother, grandparents, aunts and uncles who all live close by and help raise them. They also have family friends.
I'm an afterthought. I'm already replaced.

So, here I am. Sitting in the truck considering when and where to just end it.
How to do it. Would anyone really care? Have i burned enough bridges that only close family and friends show up to mourn me?

I dont have much in my life. I dont own anything. I dont have a college degree. I dont have a career that i can see myself doing for the long term. My wife hates me and my kids dont really care when I'm gone. Out of sight, out of mind. Their too little to really understand what their father is going through. They just saw the anger and their parents arguing when their mother called their father selfish and a coward when he told her he thought about killing himself that night.

So, once again, here I am. I dont see the end to my own story. At one point in my life I could tell you very clearly what my future held for me. Growing old with the woman I love, seeing my kids grown up, successful and with families of their own.
Now, I dont see anything. I see darkness. I seen nothingness. I see pain and then happiness. I dont know what to do. I dont know how to handle things. I reach out to family and friends but they are either busy or dont want to talk to me anymore about my issues with the wife and my depression.

Even though it may seem like no one cares about you, be assured that there are many people that do care about you, It sounds like you were on the right track, seeing a therapist as well as taking medication, as someone looking in for the outside ( your wife ) it’s very difficult to understand why someone would need medication to feel better, many times it is a chemical imbalance in your body that cause depression, or a sequence of events ( which most likely triggered this for you) maybe a little tweaking of the medication, being able to see your therapist more than once a month would help. Your relationship with your wife, think back to why you married each other, there has to be many good things that were going on for both of you to love each other enough to marry one another. go back to doing things you did with one another before kids, I know it will be hard when you are away so much, when you are home, have a date night and promise to each other to only have positive conversations while you are on your date, it does not have to be anything expensive… go on a picnic, go out for coffee, but make your relationship a priority with your wife. Being away as much as you are is really tough, start putting your resume in at many different places, you may be able to find a truck driving job that lets you be home every night. You may think your wife, kids and family do not miss you but I am sure they do. Take time for your self. You are very loved by many people

1 Like

I am so sorry for all the pain and heartache you are feeling. To look back and think of all the words and actions you wish you could take back. That is painful. It can seem like you will never get over the heartache. Like things will never be “okay” again.

Allow yourself to feel the emotions you have. But don’t give up hope for brighter days.

I don’t know if this will mean much to you. But I just paused and prayed for you. (I rarely if ever do that typing mid post.) Because I didn’t know what else to do or say. I prayed that Jesus would reveal himself to you and meet you where you are. Because the truth is, He wants to meet you right where you are. He can take this pain and transform it into glory. He isn’t holding any of your actions against you, but is waiting for you to come to him for comfort and healing. He wants to carry your burden of hurt alongside you. So you don’t have to go through this alone.

I am so glad that you didn’t end up taking your own life. Life can be so difficult, full of so much pain. But there is always hope for the future. You can get through this. You aren’t alone. Keep posting as much as you need to. We are here for you.

1 Like

Thank you. @NomadicWanderer
I’ve tried opening up to the lord and asking for guidance and help in my dark times, but I’m never sure my prayers are being answered.
I’m not super religious as I used to be when I was younger. I’ve had a real crisis of faith over the last decade due to lost friend, pain in my own life and family. I often wonder if God is ever truly there. But then I look at my children and know that he is in my life. I just need to be patient with his guidance and words.

Thank you. @bptcj
I have been looking for other employment that allows me to be home.
As for my wife. She has told me she wont open herself back up to be hurt by me again. I understand her logic but at the same time I think back to the days before we were married and the vows we took when we got married.
I haven’t been the best husband or friend to her over the past few years and I want to fix and repair what has been damaged.
In the same thought, i have told her that i dont want it to take another 4 years to mend that bridge as i dont think I would be able to handle the constant contempt and loathing from her when I’m obviously trying to make things better.
She doesn’t want to be hurt anymore. I get that. But I have no clue what else to do. I want to keep trying, but when all attempts fall of deaf ears and stubborn resolve, it’s hard to keep beating my head against the proverbial wall. I want to stay the course, but at the same time when I cant see the light at the end of the tunnel, it’s difficult to stay on course and see things through.
If that makes any sense.
I’ve done everything I can think of in order to make amends and show her I am a work in progress and I am wanting to change things for the better and willing to move forward and make a better life, but I’m constantly met with bitterness and kept at an arms length.
Like I said before I’m wanting to take baby steps. I just wish she had a more open mind to this. I feel like if she truly cared and really wanted things to work out, there would be some sort of attempt to meet me half way, but there hasn’t been.

Thank you for the reply and advice.

@Zechs1125 I haven’t been through the same experiences as you. But I can relate to wondering why God hasn’t answered prayers of mine. To a point where I haven’t really been spending time with him lately or even caring if I do. Just wanted to say that you aren’t alone in the faith crisis thing. That said, I want to say (I’m preaching to myself, too, here) that God is still there, regardless, and is ready with open arms when you are ready.

1 Like

@NomadicWanderer
It’s rough.
Like, I truly believe in the vows I took in front of God and Family when we were married. Have I done my best to live up to this promise? No, and if i could i would take back all the hurt i caused.
But to live everyday not knowing if she feels the same way or not knowing if there will be a tomorrow for us is maddening.
Honestly, it is the only hurdle I have not been able to get over in my path to bettering myself.
I literally fall apart and the thought of losing her and the kids.
She says she doesn’t believe in divorce. She feels the same way about that kind of thing that i do. But, she can never answer me when it comes to plans or wants for our future together. And I can understand to a degree on her thought process. She doesn’t want to be hurt again. And I can only break so many promises before she closed herself off to me. That’s 100% on me and my burden to carry. She cant forget the things I’ve done, and I’ve never asked her to forget. I’ve never forgotten anything that she has done that has hurt me. I have asked for forgiveness many, many times.
My fear is, what happens when I wake up one day and dont want her forgiveness? I realize that I’m not in love with her anymore? That I’m in love with the idea of what we were/could be?
That, my friend, is frightening to me.
I’ve built so much of my life around her and the kids that it is damn near impossible to envision a life without them.
And getting the help I need and following what my gut and my heart tells me I need to do has been liberating to a degree. I know what I want in my life. I know what will make me happy. But what if I cant achieve that?

My therapist says I’m constantly worrying about “what ifs”. I shouldn’t. But I cant stop because that is just how I am wired. How I was raised.
“If you touch the hot stove, you’ll get burned…so never go near the stove or be too afraid to learn to cook because you might get hurt”
“Dont go skydiving because what if your parachute doesn’t work and then you fall to your death?”
“Dont put too much of your faith into people, they might let you down and hurt you.”

Things like that.

What ifs…they are my anxieties coming out and having a party.