I Don't Understand (Random Thought)

I don’t understand the world. I don’t understand how it all works. I don’t understand why we are the way we are. I don’t understand why we treat others so badly. I don’t understand why we treat this planet we call home, so badly. I don’t understand why decisions that can be harmful to others, are made. I don’t understand why wars exist. I don’t understand death. I don’t understand how friendships work. I dont understand how relationships work. I don’t understand anything…

5 Likes

Hey Tom,

It’s frustrating to feel like you’re at a place where everything in your world doesn’t make sense. It’s difficult to feel like there’s no firm ground to stand on, and everything around you conflicts, confuses, and confounds. Especially when some of it is foundational to your day to day life, like how relationships work, but also the existential is foundational to how you understand yourself and your place in the world, and it can feel like floating without any sense of grounding or purpose without this. And it can lock you up internally from feeling like you’re able to engage with the world when you don’t even understand your place in it.

I can relate to this – I get a lot of that “internal locking” when I think about eternity - I feel a sense of falling endlessly or dread or fear or existential unraveling when I try to wrap my mind around something so vast I can’t comprehend. It’s really hard to move through that place when you’re in it.

I think one of the things that usually helps me in those circumstances is instead of looking at all of the things that feel so overwhelmingly unknowable or out of my reach, I try to slowly rebuild on the things that I DO know and DO understand. And it can be simple things. But honestly, I have to snap back to a reality that is based on things I can comprehend. I start with - I know I am loved, I know I can trust God even though I don’t understand, I know that I have a family that loves me, I know that I have a difference to make today, and even if I don’t understand the full picture, I have this opportunity here to do something meaningful, and I can’t skip out on this moment because I don’t have all the answers. Usually rebuilding from those small kinds of facts can get me out of that internal lock up.

But honestly, there is a lot I still don’t understand, and it’s a weird balance between seeking to know and yet not stopping life when you don’t. It’s pursuing answers, but it’s also moving forward without them. It’s a weird blend of the two.

But you’re certainly not alone in this kind of feeling. I can relate in so many moments, and I appreciate you sharing with me.

-Nate

Hallos! There are bad people in the world sadly but we know there is more good people than bad people. Good always will overcome the evil, Friend hips can be hard to deal with. Making friends can be really hard for some and really easy for others. The best way to make friends it step out of you’re comfort zone. Sadly people are harming the planet with wars that we can’t really control but remember all of the other things that people are doing for the world like: 2 youtubers raised 20 million dollars to plant 20 million trees and 30 million dollars raised to get rid of 30 million pounds of trash out of the ocean. Keep your faith in humanity and the good will come bigger and better.

1 Like

Hi Friend, Thank you for posting, it appears you are deep in thought and that can be a dangerous thing when you are an overthinker (I know this because I am one) I am not sure we are meant to know all the answers to your questions I think thats kind of the point of growing and learning, well thats what I tell myself, I mean, you know so much more now than you did years ago and hopefully you will know a lot more in years to come, every day we hope to learn new things and grow. As to why there are bad things and bad people, where there is good there is always bad sadly, I like to think the bad is there so we appriciate the good, thats probably not true but that is how I live with the bad in life. Your post reminded me of part of a poem by Alfred Lord Tenneyson, “Ours is not to reason why, Ours but to do and die”. that came to mind. I hope you dont worry to much about all these things, try to just enjoy your life as it is because it really is pretty short in the scheme of things. Much Love Lisa. xx

1 Like

Humans are such a weird bunch of creatures, we believe in our abilities and superior intellect, yet we are often driven by our emotions and feelings more than logic.

For one so confused by the things we do as a species, I find it hopeful that you know that you can come here and share with us, and hopefully the act of sharing here can help you feel a bit more connected to us, and to the world.

Man’s desire to know is part of what makes us do the best things - create, explore, travel, discover. Man’s desire to own and use for his own comfort is what leads us to short-term benefits, environmentally unsustainable activites etc. Man’s desire for connection is why we seek out relationships, friendships, interactions.

Finding your place in the world, making sense of the world can be a life’s worth of action. Sometimes when the world seems large and confusing , it helps to take some deep breaths, meditate, and do the actions that cause your contribution to the wider universe to be net positive - cause the least harm and the most good, make the best choices and decisions you can given the info and resources at hand, and power through to the next moment. Thank you for being with us here. If it’s one thing you CAN be sure about is the love and support we have for you, friend! :hrtlegolove:

1 Like

Hi TomsStillHere,

I think we all have some sort of curiosity on these kinds of things. When there is an answer, it is usually “society is society and you cannot change it”. And since we can’t change it, we just have to adapt to it because we have no other option. Death is something that nobody knows about because so far nobody has come back to life and remembered what happened after they died :upside_down_face:
You just have to live life and see what happens, but at least we can enjoy the few moments that we currently have and appreciate how valuable time is.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us and once again, let’s enjoy life while we can :hrtlegolove:

1 Like

Hello, friend :hrtlegolove: You are certainly not alone in understanding little about so many things. Reading this I was just nodding along like “yep. yep. yep. definitely”. The world is a mad and confusing place. I feel like all we can do is to try and puzzle out pieces of it as the days go on. To understand these things, even a little bit, is to gain wisdom. And the best path to wisdom is by learning. You want to learn how something works that baffles you you could try studying it. Most of these thoughts make me think of anthropology. Studying humans as though we were a fascinating insect or a subject we don’t know much about. When I try to understand something we as humans do I try to take a step back and look at us through the eyes of an alien just discovering our planet. Sometimes it helps me puzzle out a few thoughts on why we are the way we are. And sometimes I think I’ve understood something only to have something else come along and contradict that.

The whole thing makes me think of a common meme online about humans coming from a murder planet or humans being space orcs. If you google either of those and go to ‘images’ you will fall down a very interesting rabbit hole. Here’s a link to a post with a lot of them: https://imgur.com/gallery/KMP83
Maybe reading some of those will help you see the world a little differently but I hope that if you look at them they at least give you a chuckle and brighten your day a bit and see that you are certainly not alone in wondering how humans are the way we are.

Keep questioning things and keep reaching for wisdom. It is a good path to take. I just encourage you to not fall too deeply down the rabbit hole of discovery that you lose yourself along the way. Happy reading :hrtlegolove: