I feel like I’m a burden

I’m lucky I live with someone who is really kind, but I feel like I am a huge burden on them. I know they didn’t have to agree to having me. I feel guilt about a lot of things. Sorry that I’m new here and that I’m unloading all this.
My parents were addicts. My father locked me in the car when he went to get drugs and he ended up over dosing. My mother agreed to give me up to someone else and I haven’t heard from her since. I think she could be dead too. I don’t think she would have probably had a choice to give me up tbh. In a way I feel sorry for them and I wish that having a child could have made them feel like they wanted to change for me.
I don’t belong here. I’ve imposed on peoples lives every since I was born.
I don’t belong here at all. I don’t want to be here anymore

5 Likes

Hi Echo.repeat,
Welcome to Heart Support, and thank you so much for reaching out to us.
no need to apologize here, we are here for you, for your worries and toughts.
to feel guilty to others, a burden, is always a big struggle. something that we put on ourselves far to often.
i do that too. i feel like i don’t deserve my friends. i feel like a burden most of my life. this comes along
with my struggles of my self worth, feeling i will be good enough for someone. i don’t deserve my life.
its not easy to overcome, learn how to get along or do it otherwise.
you have overcome a lot so far. you have seen things, witnessed and felt like a burden. all of it was not your
fault. your parents had the chance to change, it was their decisions. not yours.
your decision was, to reach out for us. your decision was to take action now. your decision was to let out
your struggle, share that with us. we are, and i am so proud of you that you have done that.
that shows a lot of strength, and heart my friend. this is your first step. a huge step that you have done.
the most difficult. toughts and worries we keep for ourselves, will always hunt us back. building up walls,
that you only can overcome when you speak out what is worrying you.
you are heared now. you let them out. now it your way up the stairs can begin. don’t feel guilty about the
past, you live here and now for tomorrow. be grateful for today.
people, family and friends are with you, because they want to be with you. they love you, because of you.
the way you are, the way you treat them. they treat you back like that. that is their decision.
treat them, like you want to be treated. you do amazing. you are loved. you matter most !
take small steps, do things you love, with the people you love. take care of yourself. of your body and mind.
with every step, you will learn, you will life. life is beautiful, when you want it to be beautiful. let life be
blooming for you and the people around you.
stay in touch with us, keep us updated. it will be nice to see how you are doing. you will do great.
you deserve that in your life, you deserve the good things in this world, you belong in this world, it is a
better place with and because of you in it. :purple_heart: feel hugged and have a nice day

2 Likes

I’m sorry that your start in life was so traumatic and that you feel abandonment from your parents. Can you talk to the person you live with about finding some therapy to help you? Working thru your thoughts and emotions with someone who can help you, might be very helpful for you. I hope you find peace and I hope you come to realize that you’re not a burden and your life has worth. Thank you for sharing. ~Mystrose

when I hear your story, my heart sinks. There’s a lot that someone of us have been through, and I really understand you when you say you feel like you’ve been imposing on people and their life.
I want to encourage you that the kind person or people who have brought you home haven’t done so because they were obligated. You aren’t a burden to be passed around, you were in a situation where your parents couldn’t fight the disease that was plaguing them. That doesn’t mean that you aren’t or weren’t important. That doesn’t mean that it’s your responsibility to fix them. That doesn’t mean that you’re worth has declined in anyway. What it means is that you had people who couldn’t help themselves, and now you have this opportunity to find that you are loved and are worthy.

have you shared with the person your with how you’re feeling? Asked them for support and/or to see professional support? I know I’m really glad that you’re here, because it means that there is hope. I do really hope that we hear from you again soon.

Friend, I want to say that I am so incredibly sorry that you’ve experienced these circumstances in life. It wasn’t fair. I want you to know that what you experienced as a child was not your fault. You are not responsible for carrying the weight of other peoples decisions. I say all of this as an adult who was adopted as a young child. I know the pain of some of the feelings that you’re experiencing and I know how deep it runs. I need you to know that you are so much more valuable and loved and wanted than you feel right now. I hope that you have access to resources for therapy. It took me a lot of hard work in therapy to work through my past. It is my deepest hope for you that you’re able to go through therapy. People need you here. I am so very thankful for you and for your bravery in reaching out to HeartSupport. I hope that you will continue to post here and to interact with us. Please know that you are loved. You are needed. You are worthy of all the good things life has to offer. I will be cheering for you in a big way! Lots of love, friend.

Hi Friend, Welcome to HeartSupport and Thank you for your post. I would love to start by saying that you have now found somewhere that you can say that you belong because you have just found a community that cares very much about you, about your past, your present and your future. I am so sorry that your life began in that way, your parent clearly struggled a great deal and their addictions took them away from being able to care for you, this was not because you were a burden this was because they didnt do better for whatever reason, again Im sorry that happened, nothing you did or didnt do would have changed those circumstanses. You absolutely do belong here. I do not know what it is like to be adopted and im not going to pretend I do but I do know that people that look to adopt children do it because they desperately want a child and want to love a child and I hope you found that from the people that adopted you, you didnt impose yourself on them, they wanted you and we at heartsupport want you, we want you to stick around and know that you are loved and cared for. Please post anytime friend. Much love Lisa. x

Oh god I was not expecting so many people to reply to me! I do need to talk to them and tell them what’s going on.
I realised that I’m just hurting them and basically telling them I’m not thankful for all they do for me. I wrote out this thing to my parents. Kind of like a letter.
I want to tell them that I love them and that I hope they can be proud of me. I want them to know they did the right thing letting me go. If my mother is alive, I don’t know if I want to really see her or talk to her, but at the same time I want to tell her that she did the right thing.

I know some people know that my parents were addicts and they say things like they believe I was born addicted and that I might be on something or I’ll mostly likely end up hurting myself. I don’t owe them anything, but I’ll still prove them wrong.
I can’t keep away these thoughts by myself though. Not anymore.

2 Likes