I feel not good enough academically

I feel like i am stupid. First off all every time I’ve had a strict teacher I’ve done bad in their class and sometimes it’s not even with a strict teacher it’s with a teacher’s class who’s average is really good. Not only that, I’ve been told ever since I can remember to use my brain and that I don’t know how to use it because I fail to do simple tasks like emptying the dishwasher carefully(I’ve always gotten comments like this from my dad). And on top of that, when I got a good grade once in math my dad would give me a backhanded compliment like this “wow, you aren’t like you were last year in math, I’m surprised”. And my siblings would always give me comments too that went like “use common sense, it’s not that hard” and things like “you’re so dumb, it’s unbelievable” and in grade 7 when I had a D in math class and the rest of the class had A and when my mom told that teacher I wanted to do a program in hs that would give me university credits she laughed and said “That’s a very challenging program, are you sure she can do it” in a condescending tone. And now when I told my sister I feel like I’m not good enough to do well on my upcoming biology test she said “with that mentality, you’ll fail and you’re setting yourself up for failure no matter how hard you try”. This just made me feel worse because 1. I felt like I burden her by telling her how I feel because she also says “I hate that attitude”, and 2. I feel like I’m even more less capable of doing well on that test since I can’t change this internalized belief that I’m stupid overnight. And my test is in a few days so I don’t know what to do and I’m really angry at myself.

2 Likes

Let me just say, I relate to this on some level. During elementary school, I was thought of as super smart. Never struggled at all, did advanced math, the whole thing. But then going into 5th grade, some bad stuff happened, and my mental health declined drastically. I ended have problems keeping up with work and turning it in. And my grades reflected that. Instead of feeling academically inadequate in terms of people saying “wow you used to be bad” or “do you think she’ll be able to do it”, it was more “but you’re so smart” and “what happened with you”. It was like I had let them down. That I was no longer able to be smart like I was. Like it was some lucky streak. It might be different for you, but I think it’s fair to say that I understand that feeling of inadequacy. You’re not alone in how you feel. Just remember that anyone who says you can’t do something because of a grade is wrong. I can tell you’re an amazing, talented, and intelligent person who’s not being supported. It’s hard, but don’t let them get to you. :blush:

1 Like

You don’t get to let other people tell you how smart or dumb you are. My mom failed 7th grade because her math teacher told her she was stupid, and my mom believed it. My mom is not stupid, and it took her 20 years to realize that. That teacher was later fired for telling other students they were stupid too. She was the one who was wrong.

How smart do you feel when others aren’t diminishing your worth? What are you good at? Unfortunately in primary school you have to play the game until you’ve graduated, but you can pursue hobbies and electives that let your skills shine. I believe everyone has something special that they’re really good at, whether it’s art or music or empathy, and a D on a math quiz isn’t a measure of your worth.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.