I hate being mixed

I don’t know why, but it’s hard. Your not black enough for the black people, your not white enough for white people. I’m just glad that my latinx relatives actually agree that I’m latinx. I never see anyone that looks like me represented in the media, despite the fact that I look 100% white. It just hurts to see that the only person I know who looks like me I see is my mom. I hate it when I get treated like I don’t struggle because I’m mixed. Like, okay, would it change your mind if I was darker?

5 Likes

It has to be hard being around people who make assumptions about you based on the amount of melanin in your skin. Yeah, the sad fact is, being lighter or darker does change perception among the ignorant.

Your life experience is unique because you are mixed. Those who treat you as though you haven’t struggled, are simply demonstrating their ignorance.

Maybe you’ve heard this before but Mariah Carey was born to a white woman and a black man. She’s not the only person who’s famous with mixed colors in their heritage. Maya Rudolph, Jason Momoa, Keegan-Michael Key, Meghan Markle. Every single one of them are of mixed race. I think it’s more common in the media than we realize, because we’re used to seeing them and we don’t judge them by their heritage. Or, at least I don’t.

I know you’re struggling with your skin color, but I need to say… Your skin color is beautiful, no matter where it comes from. I realize that a lot of people will judge you because of it, but not everyone will. Who you are is inside of you, defined by your heart. It’s not defined by the color of your skin. I truly believe that and I always have. I wish you could see it the way I do.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.