I have a issue of jot spending money on stuff I need

So I got my disability approved and so I been having money to spend on things I need and want and I’ve been having issues doing either of those things I bought my new computer a bunch of shirts and pants and assorted underwear and like I feel awful about it like I legit hate spending money on my self like I’m left staring at a order of socks that I NEED I don’t have socks to wear and like I hate that I feel this guilt on spending money on stuff I need I’m willing to buy other people stuff I helped bail a friend outta homelessness last week but anything for my self I feel gross about

2 Likes

Hey again, Derpplup :hrtlegolove: Congratulations on getting your disability approved!!
You definitely deserve to take care of yourself and buy things for yourself. It is tremendously heartwarming and proves what a wonderful person you are that you want to use your money to help others but you cannot help other people without also helping yourself. You need clothes to stay warm and to feel good and comfortable. You helped out your friend and that is so wonderful of you. Just try to think of yourself as another one of your friends. Be your own friend and care for yourself by buying that friend some things that can make you feel better. You definitely don’t want to overspend and buy a lot of things you don’t need but you’ve been wanting a new computer for a while now and you need clothes.

I’m just so sorry you are feeling this guilt that you have no reason to feel. We are here for you, friend. Take care of yourself please :hrtlegolove:

I’m so sorry that you are feeling like this, @Derpplup! From your message, I get that feeling that you want to put someone else’s needs before your own. Like you want to spend the money you get on the stuff they need. Helping them makes you feel good, right? I also think that your friends would love to see you take care of yourself, though. Because you deserve the things you need! I think your friends would agree with that.
I’m sorry that you’re feeling guilty, because you don’t feel like you deserve this. But you do deserve it. Not just Eloquentpetrichor and I think that, but also the organisation that approved your check. If they didn’t think that you deserved to live of that money, they wouldn’t have approved your check. You’re loved, friend. You deserve every good thing that comes your way! :hrtlegolove:

1 Like

Hi Friend. I know it’s tough sometimes to rationalize spending money on things we need for ourselves. I think it’s important though to understand that it’s okay to take care of yourself and to make sure that you have things that you need. I know I sometimes make my self feel super guilty about buying things I need. So I understand that struggle. But be sure that taking care of yourself is okay.

Hey Friend, Thanks for this post, This saddens me so much because I am more than certain that if I came to you and said that I needed essentials and had the money but felt bad about spending it you would tell me to take care of myself. I am asking you to do the same Derp, it really is ok to buy the things you need, that is what the money is for, its for taking care of yourself, your not out partying you are clothing yourself. You have also waited a long time for this. Take a deep breathe and enjoy this moment friend. Much Love Lisa x

Hi Friend, I understand how you are thinking, as a mother, I felt guilty buying things I needed for myself when I could have spent that money on something my son needed. It’s ok to feel the emotions your experiencing, but it’s also ok to take care of your own needs. I learned this later in life unfortunately. I think socks are pretty important to have and if you need them, then go for it. I’m glad you were approved, I’m sure that takes a little bit of stress off your shoulders. Take care ~Mystrose

Your feelings are valid, Derpplup. I myself struggle with the thoughts of guilt when I have money of my own. It’s very honorable and respectable that you’re selfless, you’re a very good friend to be able to help your friend out of their living situation. As another person said, you can help others(if it still leaves you well off yourself), but you need to also take care of yourself in the same aspect. You said it well yourself, these are needs: you need clothes to keep yourself safe from the elements. You should be able to treat yourself once in a while with a gift like a nice new computer. I’m glad to hear that your disability got approved, but you’re doing a fantastic job for both you and others.

1 Like