Back to heartsupport

I have to do a scary medical procedure

I am autistic and have severe anxiety around being touched. Usually this is something that I can avoid in daily life. I can also usually put up with medical examinations because I know what is going to happen and around how long it will take.

My problem at the moment is that I have to have investigations into a gynecological problem that has been chronic for a few years now. I am fully aware how medically necessary the exam is and how dangerous it is to not do it but the anxiety about being touched is overwhelming.

Talking to my doctor about it has only ended up with them misunderstanding that I don’t want to do it rather than that I was asking for support whilst doing the test. So I feel kind of trapped in a corner and very anxious about this whole thing.

2 Likes

@mayflower

I’m sorry you are going through a rough season.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing.

You said the answer… “Talking to my doctor about it has only ended up with them misunderstanding that I don’t want to do it rather than that I was asking for support whilst doing the test.” … That. Tell the doctor(s) what you just said right there.

You’ll do alright. Keep on going & when you feel like shutting down or giving up remember to take a few slooow deep breaths & try again.

:purple_heart:

3 Likes