I keep relapsing. Trigger sh

I don’t know what to do. I keep relapsing. Every time I think it’s the last time, I end up self-harming again. Sometimes I don’t even know if I really want to stop or not. It makes me feel better, so why stop now? And even if I stop now, I know I’ll relapse again, so is there really a point? I don’t even know if I could stop if I wanted to.

I’m just tired of everything. I can’t see a future for myself and can’t imagine living past the age of twenty. I feel so empty and alone all the time. There’s no one to depend on and there is almost nothing I want to live for anymore. I scared that I will kill myself but I’m also scared that I won’t if that makes any sense.

I don’t have a good relationship with my mother. She doesn’t take me seriously when I tried to talk to her, so I don’t even bother anymore. She ignores me and when she doesn’t, she constantly wants my full attention. She tells me that she wishes I was prettier and skinnier. I can’t tell if I’m overreacting about her or not since sometimes she’s warm and sometimes she’s cold.

I try to protect my younger sister and really, I think that’s the only reason I’m still alive. We’ve always had a good relationship. I think without her, I wouldn’t be alive right now. She hasn’t gone through the same stuff as I have and I’m trying to keep her mentally healthy and tell her everything is going to be okay, but it’s so hard to pretend that I’m okay. I don’t talk to her about my struggles because I fear that it’ll hurt her. It’s selfish of me to want to kill myself, especially since I have a younger sister who needs me, I know, but I still want to.

Basically, I feel like I’m living in a circle. Every time I think I’m better, I go back to the beginning and I can’t ever get out. I feel like I’m drowning. Cutting is a small relief but it doesn’t last long. I really don’t know what to do anymore, and at this point, I just want to escape.

-Thistle

3 Likes

Thistle, first of all please know that you are stronger than you think. If you weren’t you wouldn’t be here sharing your story. Believe in that power. I can relate to a lot of what you said. As someone that has self harmed in the past a felt like i might never stop, i feel your struggle. It gets to a point where you feel like there is no point to stop byt there is always a better way. What was always helpful for me was counteracting those negative thoughts with a positive one. Even if its just one thing you like about yourself, you just speak that to yourself over and over again.

As for wanting to shielding your sister from things, im not sure how much younger she is but maybe you could give her a little more credit? I know its in our nature to want to protect the ones we love from our pain but I have found more often then not that those around us that love us can be strong for us. That giving them a glimpse into our pain can empower them because they see how hard we try to make ourselves okay that it shows them that we are strong and we are fighters.

I’ve always been a big supporter of therapy and if its ever been something you have thought about I encourage you to try it, especially now in the world of covid, doing it over video is a lot less intimidating then being in an actual room with someone. If it just doesn’t seem like your thing then I encourage you to continue coming back here and sharing. There is something so freeing about receiving love and understanding from people that have no stake in your life. Thats what this place is about and you will be met with love every single time.

Thank you so much for being brave and coming to this space to share your story. Know that you are strong, you are worth it.

-Dani

Hey,

Thank you so much for sharing your story with us. I understand what you are going through and you are not alone. I struggled with self harm during my teen years and I thought I wouldn’t live past the age of 19. But now, I am 20 years old and I am the healthiest I have ever been. All that to say, it does get better. A relapse is not a failure. You learn as you go and if you relapse, you still take that growth with you. You are braver than you think. You have it in you to be resilient. Your life matters. Your story is important.

Please continue to reach out if you are still struggling. That is what we are here for. You are loved. We are here for you.

Keep going,
Sarah

1 Like

Hi Thistle,

I Would like you to know that you are beyond brave for sharing your situation with this community and that you have inspired me to share something with you. I too had a somewhat uneasy relationship with my mother when I was growing up, she was abusive… sometimes to the point of physical abusive but mostly verbal. She liked to drink a lot and that’s when her dark side would come out and she would have no remorse for anyone’s feelings, and a lot of the time it made me question life, and suicidal thoughts would cross my mind. It was music that kept my head above water during these times and I was able to somewhat “unwind” and I found Sanctuary in that. But Life happens and my mother passed away and because I was always so mad at her for how she would treat us, her family, I felt guilt for a long time after she passed and the weight of the world and responsibilities made those suicidal thoughts start popping up again. I became depressed and would shut down and have nothing to do with anything. It was getting bad. Until one day I came across a band and I listened to one entire album. It was Constellations by ABR and the lyrics breathed life into me to the point where I wanted to play music again… This drove me to want to live!
From what I read in your post, you seem to want to live too, and I believe everyone is on this earth for a reason. Your little sister is a very big reason to want to live, you may not think it but I’m sure she looks up to you more than you know! and she will need you more than you know. You are going to be blessed beyond imaginable for being her keeper and I applaud you for being so strong for her. I pray that your situation will get better with your mother and that your relationship will turn around and flourish into a beautiful, unbreakable bond. I hope I was able to give some positive insight and I do hope you will return here to post if you ever feel the need to!

• Elijah
2 Likes

Hey @Thistle,

And even if I stop now, I know I’ll relapse again, so is there really a point? I don’t even know if I could stop if I wanted to.

The reason why you try to stop self-harming, your main goal, is you, your life and your safety. Relapses are incredibly defeating, but somehow it’s also part of recovery. It happens, unfortunately. Because recovery is definitely not a straight line. It looks more chaos like this:

For what it’s worth coming from me, I’m so proud of you, for your perseverance and bravery through all of this. Healing from self-harm is not easy. Yet you are here, you share about how you feel and you don’t isolate yourself. There is a possibility for growth through every relapse, my friend, even if it doesn’t feel like it.

Questioning your desire to heal or not is an important one and it’s absolutely normal to wonder this, especially after a relapse. It’s like having two voices in your mind that are pushing you to do things that are absolutely different. Through my own recovery from eating disorders, I felt this inner division - a lot, if not constantly. Sometimes I wondered if I was crazy. I knew what was right and what needed to be done. Yet the temptation to give up and surrender was always here, again and again and again. And honestly: I didn’t always want to heal. I wasn’t always commited to recovery. Most of the time it felt like resisting against urges that were against my own will. And when I realized the amount of energy and time I needed to take one step while I could relapse anytime, then wondering what’s the point was absolutely natural. The questions, the doubts, the feelings you are experiencing right now are part of your recovery. And you are here. Somehow, you know deep inside how to be true to yourself and that recovery is worth it.

I want to quote your own words to remind you why cutting is not the solution and why recovery is worth it:

Cutting is a small relief but it doesn’t last long.

It is indeed a very small relief for a lot of disappointment, shame, guilt, worries, strategies to hide, etc. It’s an illusion of relief. You know the painful cost of it already. And even though I wish you haven’t been through such pain, even if sometimes it’s hard not to feel stuck, you are not stuck and you are still learning every time you try, every time you succeed, and every time you fall during this journey. And when you fall, please keep in mind that you have friends here ready to sit down with you, take your hand and wait with you until you feel ready to get back on your feet. You are not alone.

For me, recovery felt like being in a circle. And the same applies to the mental health struggles I’ve been facing. I feel stuck in a cycle that is repeated, again and again. But something we don’t necessarily realize while we are trying our best to change our ways to cope is that we always learn something and we progress. You won’t go out of this circle the first time you try, but you’ll extend it more and more to the point of breaking it entirely. Yesterday you could resist to an urge for 2 minutes. Today for 5. And tomorrow for 3. Yet you are still learning. And how you perceive what you do has a great importance here. Meaning: okay there is a relapse. What about trying to give yourself the grace and credit you deserve in this situation, like you would do with a dear friend? You deserve to be your very first supporter and to seek personal growth through all of this. Again, we’re so proud of you here.

I really don’t know what to do anymore, and at this point, I just want to escape.

I’d like to really encourage you to have a look at the workbook ReWrite if you didn’t already. It’s a book about self-harm that includes a journaling part. And I’m actually reading it with a friend - it’s been a couple of weeks now. The reading would be very triggering to them, so they asked me to read this together. And actually it helps me too, even if I’m not currently struggling with self-harm and I’m in a better place regarding eating disorders. I think it could really be helpful to you too.

You can get more informations about it here:

https://www.amazon.com/ReWrite-Journey-Self-Harm-Benjamin-Sledge/dp/0999154508?sa-no-redirect=1&pldnSite=1

If affording it is a problem, feel free to send an email to Danjo or Casey from HS staff so they could think about a solution with you: [email protected] - [email protected]

You can also have a look at the ReWrite section of this forum. The 4 first chapters include streaming videos where the guys actually read the chapters on Twitch. It could give you an idea of the content:

https://forum.heartsupport.com/tags/c/growth/61/rewrite

If you decide to explore it, feel free to share your question or thoughts. Whether it’s here or through DMs. Discussing about self-harm is a first step to normalize recovery and make it part of your daily life. :slight_smile:

I don’t have a good relationship with my mother. She doesn’t take me seriously when I tried to talk to her, so I don’t even bother anymore. She ignores me and when she doesn’t, she constantly wants my full attention. She tells me that she wishes I was prettier and skinnier. I can’t tell if I’m overreacting about her or not since sometimes she’s warm and sometimes she’s cold.

I feel like you just described my mom. Seriously. And I have a sister too (an older one) that I always feel the need to protect. My relationship with my mom is pretty toxic and I endured her attitude for my entire childhood - if not adulthood now. It’s really hard to set some boundaries with our parents, especially if you are currently living with your mom. So know that her behavior shows about her character, but it never says anything about you or your worth. You deserve attention, you deserve to be heard, to be loved and cared for. And if your mom is like mine, struggling and in need of attention, then she’s certainly not in the right mindset to be supportive to you. She should though. She’s your mom. Things should be different and that’s not fair at all to feel like you can’t reach out to her. But despite all of this, despite her, you are so loved, friend. And you can always count on this safe place here to just share your heart - whether it’s positive or painful.

We see you. We care about you. You are loved. :hrtlegolove:

2 Likes

Side note @Micro - I LOVE that healing picture!! I’ve never seen it before. I’m going to save it - definitely a keeper. :slight_smile:

1 Like