I’m completely lost and overwhelmed

I don’t know what to do anymore. I cannot figure out who I am or what my identity is supposed to be. It seems like a constant battle of trying to understand myself and truly discover who I am. I was adopted as an infant and this can apparently be a cause of identity problems. Along with this I’ve also got depression, anxiety, and final college semester to deal with.

I don’t know how to deal with this or find myself. My beliefs are a mess now, and I can’t find comfort there. It’s like everything I’ve learned over my 22 years of life suddenly doesn’t make sense, and I’m desperately trying to put it back together as my identity. Part of me feels like I’ve only done what my family wants, or what society wants. That I’ve never had the chance to really explore the world for myself and become who I’m supposed to be. There is just so much going on in my life right now, and I don’t have the ability to juggle it all at once… if anyone has any advice, prayers, or help I’d really appreciate it.

@Perk21 ,
Let me say , be who you want to be not who they want you to be. You are you , you are human, you are alive, by the way you are not alone , i deal with depression and anxiety too . no matter what you are so loved for who YOU are.

1 Like

Classy,

First and foremost, know that you are not alone. I personally know myself feel this way from time to time, and recently (within the last 6 months) have had a serious bout with this. From a personal manner, and a faith-based manner. I’d be lying if I would state I’ve gotten past this currently, but I am trying to make sense of things that transpired. Especially when I felt that I was being led down a clear and concise road (by faith), to have a sturdy foundation and career. A huge corner to turn to try to get my mid-life car back on some form of a track or road. Then that road, despite how hard I tried, despite that I gave everything; I fell short. Slowly I have learned small lessons or ‘takes’ from the resulting fallout.

I do know that keeping your feet moving forward (reaching out for help and support), and not giving up and just collapsing is a start. It shows strength, grit, and determination. Know that my thoughts and prayers are with you to learn and grow as an individual, and a person.

There is never a promise of life being easy, but many times over out of experience; the things that try us and cause us to struggle and strife are worth more than anything once you reach the end goal. Hold Fast, friend. You are loved.

1 Like

Hey there! I can relate to where you say you feel as if you’re doing life for other people other than yourself. I’ve been there. I always had this notion from my family and the school system that I’m supposed to be getting good grades, graduating from high school, go to college and get a job. Through out much of my life, it felt as if I was being pushed in this direction in life that I didnt want to go and it caused me to become depressed and questioning life in general. Right now; Im at home, living with my mom, no job and no college degree (im a dropout), and im currently battling depression (which ive recently started opening up about it).

1 Like

hey Classy
I can totally relate to this battle, having had alot of thoughts about who I should be and if I should just follow other’s way of being. It’s okay to not know everything at this point, even tho people around you, think that everything should be okay. It’s important to know that you can always try to change the factors you don’t like in life, and that’s your choice, regarless of expectation and other people’s will. Sometimes you have to take a step back and reevaluate what you want for yourself. What do you like to do, what are your passions. Will always be there if you want to casually have a chat on discord and i know that goes for alot of people there.

Life is so much more than this, you’re loved. Hushy ~

1 Like