I want to be sad

I dont know what’s wrong with me. Is it easier to just be sad? Maybe. Is it just because of the family issues going on at home right now? I dont know. I just can’t find happiness anywhere. It’s hard to laugh. I feel so incredibly discouraged and overwhelmed by the tiniest things.

3 Likes

HI @Bvblover16 I have the exact problem. I even watch sad movies just to be sad and make me cry. I have been dealing with this problem . but it’s not like I always feel like this. sometimes I have this feelings but I try to make it better.
I would love to have a conversation about this since we have the same problem
love
T.lily

1 Like

You aren’t broken or messed up. This is normal with depression. I and a lot of us on here have been through it. After being depressed awhile, your brain rewires itself. Dopamine, serotonin, and norepinephrine production slows, and the receptors quit working. Things don’t make you happy because your brain doesn’t respond to happiness at a chemical level, so you feel numb. Instead, since feeling numb is pretty terrible, your brain lights up when you feel sad. You only feel alive when you feel your absolute worst. External stressors like home life and the “tiny things” make this cycle even worse.

That’s where meds come in. They won’t fix all your problems, but they’ll slow the doom spiral of sadness at a chemical level. Then you’ll be stable enough to start doing the cognitive exercises to get better. It won’t be easy. It’s taken some of us months or years to get through that, and some of us still struggle with it, but the key to starting recovery is to stabilize your brain chemistry.

1 Like

Sadness can be attractive. That doesn’t mean something would be wrong with you. For sure, as human beings we assume that we “should” be willing to avoid pain and sufferings, and lean into joy as much as possible. However, our emotions are more complex, and for some of us sadness becomes some kind of comfort zone. What is familiar can feel safer. It gives a sense of control, especially when we go through something that is beyond our control, such as what seems to be happening at your home.

Would you like to discuss about what’s going on at home precisely? Sometimes it helps to talk about our struggles, just to find some clarity in the midst of a lot of different emotions.

Whatever you are going through right now: it makes sense. You’re not crazy. Your feelings are valid, and you’ll learn to see them as such, with time. However, it’s important to stay safe and make sure this sadness doesn’t lead you to other ways to cope that would be unhealthy. Which is why I’d like to invite you to share a little more about what’s going on. But no pressure, no obligation. It’s a friendly invitation only.

Be safe, friend. :hrtlegolove:

Hi @Bvblover16 ,

The HeartSupport Houston team responded to your post here. Hold fast friend, and lean on our community.

1 Like

thank you this means a lot

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 365 days. New replies are no longer allowed.