I want to kick my parents out of my life

My parents will never understand me. Every time I tell them I wanna kill myself, they just ignore me and dont say anything. This is my way of reaching out. It’s a good thing I listen and play metal music. Because that is therapy to me.

Hey @nds163,

Thanks for being here. I’m sorry to hear that your parents don’t take enough consideration into what you’re saying. I don’t know how your relationship is, but maybe they feel helpless too and don’t know what to do or how to behave so they don’t say anything. What is certain is that you expect a reaction from them, and you’re delivering a message that it’s more than important to hear.

First of all, know that you’re not alone. Family relationships can be really tough sometimes. You don’t choose your family but you can always try to make things go well for everyone. I don’t know what your discussions together look like, but have you ever had the opportunity to talk to them openly and calmly? To tell them, directly and clearly, that you need them and what you expect from them? To share about the difficulties you’re going through. Maybe you can try to give them some tools (your passion for music may be one of them), some specific indications that will serve you to discuss more peacefully. Maybe you can even try to write to them a letter so you can take your time to gather your thoughts. If the reaction you expect from them is clear, it may not be the case for them, unfortunately.

Also, I want to tell you that wanting to die is not nothing and what you write here will always be taken seriously. You deserve to be heard and considered.

But you also need a more positive relationship with your parents and if they are not very effective for that, you can always prove to them your own maturity by talking to them openly, straightforwardly.

It’s not always easy to be vulnerable. It looks like you have to take risks, to show weaknesses. In fact it’s only about being true and go back to what’s essential in your life. Sometimes you don’t get along with your family just because nobody knows how to say “I love you”. It’s not part of everybody’s education, it’s not always easy to know how to do it. But I believe in you and the fact that you are capable of that. It can be worth it, for each of you.

Finally…: metal, eh? :sunglasses: Is there any music that you would like to share with us? Or, even better, what are you playing?

Take care.