I was sad by a family member told my parents and i

This is a topic from YOUTUBE. Reply as normal, and we will post it to the user on YouTube.

Belongs to: Therapist Reacts to Daddy By Korn
I was SA’d by a family member. Told my parents, and it was the 80s so it was swept under the rug. It took me 30 years to realize I was madder at my parents for not getting me help and pretending it was nothing.n Here I am, 46, and still messed in the head. They both passed in 2020. I asked my dad about it once, and he said, “oh you know kids that age (5) make up stuff all the time”. My mom had no excuse. Betrayal runs deep.

1 Like

I am so sorry. That deep-rooted betrayal must feel so powerful and gut-wrenching, because not only did a family member abuse you, but your family also turned a blind eye when you tried to speak out about the abuse. The people closest in your life who are supposed to support you, protect you, and keep you safe from harm failed you. They weren’t there for you when you needed them to be, and now you are left to carry that burden. I’m so sorry that your family was not there for you.

I know how that betrayal feels, and it can cut right to the heart. You went out of your comfort zone to talk about something horrendous and you were dismissed. You were left with the pain of feelings unheard, unvalidated, and uncared for. Though that pain can stay around for so long, I want to encourage you to continue reaching out and talking about your struggles, just like you are doing now. We as humans were made to help lift each other’s burdens, and though your family may not have lifted them for you, this community at HeartSupport will. You deserve to be heard. You deserve to be taken seriously. You don’t deserve to be dismissed. Your life matters- all of the ups and all of the downs. Thank you so much for sharing your heart with us today. We at HeartSupport are always here for you if you need to talk more.

2 Likes

@@HeartSupport Thank you so much for acknowledging me. Five-year old me didn’t know any better, but started developing coping mechanisms I still have today. I’m 46 now. I have had medications and therapists. No one seems like it’s a big deal and ignore it. I’m like, this is what laid all the future plans that made me! I’m trying to fix me. Why are you not starting here?! Ugh! All I do is talk about my week each visit. Light-hearted stuff. I’ve given up lol. I’m limited to what my insurance covers and I like telehealth (don’t like to leave the house anymore).

2 Likes

You deserve acknowledgement and support! It’s awesome that you are able to connect some of your actions to your past trauma, even if that trauma took place a long time ago. It speaks to your self-awareness and sober mindset. I really do hope that you are able to find lasting healing in therapy because it can be life-changing! HeartSupport is always here for you if you need to talk more. Thank you for being you.

1 Like