I wish my mom cared

i don’t know what to categorise this as. i love my mom. i think. i try to love my mom. i came out to her as trans and it was one of the most hardest things. she was supportive the first ten minutes. ever since, she’s gone out of her way to invalidate any time i corrected her. i found a top surgeon but i need a therapist recommendation. i haven’t been to a therapist in months. i kind of want to admit myself just to have a chance to get a therapist for the recommendation letter. i wish paying for it was easy. i literally only have a dollar and i’ve debated going into debt just to be comfortable with myself. there’s only two non family members who know and are supportive. it helps. but idk. dysphoria gets in the way of me taking care of myself and with the mental illnesses hindering self care, sometimes i just wish i could be someone who’s not me.

@LadyMabelton,
Hey, thanks for posting! And thank you for opening up. It’s not always easy.

I think to answer your thoughts, yes, your mother does love you. I would venture a guess that she is just having a hard time switching her gears to see you as trans. As a parent myself, I am trying to put myself in her shoes. Having to change my whole perception of how I see and address my own child would be a difficult thing. This is not to say that you shouldn’t be who you are. You have every right to be you. No one can take that from you. And she should be trying her best to support you as much as possible. But sometimes people have a hard time adjusting. It might not be easy to keep being shot down every time you correct her, but you should keep at it, even if it’s in a more subtle way?
And as for the surgery, I would suggest that you first try seeking out the therapist. They could help you with your mom, and your dysphoria. And then think about the surgery once you are in a better place, mentally and monetarily.
Heartsupport knows some really great resources, if you haven’t already looking into them. I hope you are able to get some support from your mom soon.
Thanks again for sharing, you’ll always be accepted for who you are here!

~Hamsamurai