Im finished with pleasing people

Im finished with trying to please everyone. I should only please myself right? My parents want me to do a certain job when i grow up but i dont want to. I want to be my own person. Am i wrong for thinking this?

3 Likes

Hi @rivermakesart that’s a tough position to be in. I’ve been there myself with my own family. It came to a point were I had to respectfully had to tell them I was going to go into a different direction. A lot of times our family’s want the best for us but don’t know how to comunícate it kindly. How old are you? What is it that they want you to do and what would you like to do.

With love
Loveinflyleaf

1 Like

Hey Friend,

I don’t think you are wrong for wanting to be your own person. I think it is important and healthy to have the understanding that we cannot please everyone. I don’t think that means we should only look out for ourselves, but rather trust ourselves in the decisions we make for ourselves and know that we cannot make everyone happy. In the end, you are the one that will have to go to whatever job you choose to have. Not them. So doing something that you are passionate about is something I think is important! You got this!

Hold Fast,

Hannah Rhodes

1 Like

Hi River!

It’s totally normal to want to do what your parents want you to do. You want to make them happy and proud. That shows you are a loving child. But at the end of the day, you have to do what will make you happy. Your parents might not like it, but if you only do what they want you might regret it someday. This is your life and it’s okay to make these choices. My mom wanted me to me a pharmacist, but I wanted to be an English major. I love young adult literature and I want to be an editor. She told me I would live on the streets and called those books childish. Cut to 3 years later and I’m almost graduating. She was just scared because she didn’t know anything about the English field. But over time she realized that it made me happy and that I would be able to take care of myself. Long story short your parents might not understand at first, but just show them your passion and that you are dedicated. They should come around and if they don’t then at least you’ll know you are living your life the way you want to.

1 Like

@rivermakesart
I can relate too. My parents wants me to go to university, but I got tired of the school life. Then again, I’ll never know if I will have a gut feeling to continue. That is up to me. I want to figure out of how I can make it to this world. They care about me, and they love me. They just worried and scared, and it is okay. I have to believe in myself that I can be fine. Back to you. Remind yourself. You are in a journey. Everyone is different. Everyone is trying to find a place where they can feel a sense of belonging. Everyone wants love, loyalty, and community. This is a crazy world. However, we can take on it. Believe in yourself. You will be grateful of how far you have come. I hope you are having a great day, and thank you for reading this. God bless you.

Love yourself no matter what.