I'm homeless. Please help me. I'm so scared

I’m pretty much homeless right now. I’m staying with my cousin but I can’t stay here forever. It’s too far from my college and I don’t have my own car or even a license.

My brother’s drug addiction has reached new peaks. He has been breaking into my bedroom and destroying my things and calling me names. I am unsafe there. I told my mother how upset I am and she basically told me to get out. I’m 22 and don’t know how most of the world works. I’ve had no one to teach me. I have a work study job at my school where I make about $600 a month. Is this even close to acceptable for an apartment? I would also need to live close enough to campus to either walk, bike, public transport.

I’m a mess right now. I’m scared. I’m a 22 year old girl. I don’t want to go to a homeless shelter. Someone please help me or give me advice on the steps I need to take to get my own place. Please. My college doesn’t have housing.

3 Likes

I do not know enough about the american system, to give you advice here. However about your living situation: try to get a room in a shared flat. I know from my university time that there often public boards with ads from people who seek flatmates to lower their costs, with shared kitchend and bathroom. Maybe that might be a step in the right direction, also for your general situation.

2 Likes

I second @Ezra. You’re not the only college student who’s borke, and in this case that’s a good thing. I’m not gonna sugar coat it, $600 is very little money, but a lot of students with very little money are putting roofs over their heads any way they can, and some may be happy to collect $150-200 a month from you to rent a room.

Next, save money any way you can. Figure out how little you can get away with spending on groceries and transportation, and put a little away for emergencies. With money that tight, I’d recommend against public transit, but there are rideshare groups, and maybe you could hop a ride with someone.

Go to your school’s financial aid office, and explain your situation. They may not be able to provide you with housing, but they may be able to counsel you or set you up with helpful resources.

My brother battled with drugs for several years. I thought he made my home life bad, but he never came in and destroyed my things. He got high outside the house, and came home to sleep and steal stuff. My parents were empathetic and never tried to discount my feelings, but they were also erratic because they didn’t know what to do with a situation they couldn’t control. Maybe that loss of control and erratic behavior is what drove your mom to kick you out. Maybe you could ask her to meet you for coffee and just spend some time talking about what’s going on, how it’s affecting you, and ask her how it’s affecting her, because I guarantee she’s in a lot of pain. Maybe you can reach an understanding and you can move back home. I feel your pain. I hope things work out for you, and I pray that your brother’s situation changes.

3 Likes

I don’t have any advice for housing I’m sorry, but I wonder if there are community pantries or food banks? In my area there are a few organisations that run them and you can get $$60 of food or hygiene products for $20. That can help with saving money.

My thoughts are with you! :hrtlegolove:

2 Likes

Hi!

You can definitely get an apartment for less than that! :blush:

You can try to get housing assistance for people with low income

Just do some google searching!

And yes definitely check with your school! I’m sure they have tons of resources, financial and other.

You’ll be ok!!! Just keep going. :blush:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.