Im struggling here

From anabelathecat: So, some people might not know this but i have adhd and anxiety and yet today i was just playing a running game called man hunt with my friends and i zoned out…
Rushing thoughts through my head but… they were all negative and i tied so hard to find a positive thought in my mind but it wouldn’t show so once i got myself together i had a panic attack and my lungs hurt so badly and yet now im just stuck with bad thoughts about this and i am even getting a medical alert fanny pack for this… i dont know what to do im just scared

3 Likes

Hey , I’m here for you.
It sucks having to go through things like this but I’m proud of you for reaching out and getting help.

Understandably, you’re scared and overwhelmed, experiencing a panic attack is scary but I hope you remember that you’re not alone and that there are always ways to get through these.

Have you tried talking to someone you trust? You don’t have to go through it alone. I hope you take care of yourself and that you feel better soon.

Cat 187

3 Likes

Hi anabelathecatt,

Thank you for reaching out and sharing with us. It can be so distressing when we are dealing with challenges tied to ADHD and anxiety. I can only imagine how difficult it could be to be experiencing panic attacks and worrying about those too.

I actually also have a medical fanny pack for my health conditions and they’re pretty useful/great in my book so I hope you like yours. I know it’s easy to be nervous when thinking about our medical conditions and simply going through life, so I really do feel for you here and hope things feel better soon. Things will be okay.

We’re here for you if you’d like to share anything further. Thank you, once more, for being here and for sharing.

- Tuna

2 Likes

Hi anabelathecat,

That must have been a terrifying exerience for you. I’m so sorry. I know what it’s like to have ADHD and have stray thoughts come into your mind that then just take over. You are not alone in that experience and, although it can seem frightening in the moment, it does pass and you can re-stabilise yourself.

I’m really impressed that you’re already thinking about strategies to cope with your panic attacks. Something that helps me in the moment is to have an activity to do that is immediately distracting. Some people have an elastic band on their wrist that they flick. I have a few yoga poses I do, which I find really soothing if I’m feeling as if I’m becoming overwhelmed. The key is to be aware of when you feel your anxiety rising and have a way to intercept it before it becomes all encompassing. I know that’s easier said than done, but you can do it with practice.

You are not a victim to these bad thoughts; you can and will learn to manage them. x

1 Like

Hi @anabelathecat, Thank you for posting. I am so sorry that these negative thoughts and then that ghastly panic attack occured when you were actually with your friends enjoying yourself. It is so difficult when you just do not know when this going to occur and I completely understand your fear however I am really proud that you got through it and you have thought about what you could do in future if it happens again, I think the “fanny pack” sounds like a great idea so although you say you do not know what to do, you are already doing something. The first step is half the battle and you have done that so well done. take a look at this link too, it should help with negative thoughts.
best of luck to you friend. You are gonna be ok, I have masses amounts of faith in you. xx

Hi Anabela :hugs:

First of all, having ADHD and anxiety must be a challenge, hyperactivity and feeling anxious doesn’t seem the best combination. Being open about your struggles is the best thing you can do. Those horrific emotions and racing thoughts can be overwhelming. I’m sorry that this has ruined cherished moments with friends. That’s horrible when you are unable to stop or prevent this from happening.

The fact that you are able to confront these emotions head on, shows you are very strong-minded. You have a lot of strength within you, and this shows by reaching out here today. You should be proud of yourself. We all have moments where life just becomes too much to bare, and we need our brain to shutdown and reset. My brain often feels like a computer that has multiple tabs open, one tab is playing music but I can’t find it. That’s how mental health can feel. Getting overwhelmed is not a sign of weakness, in fact the total oppisife!

When these negative thoughts you talk about try to rule your head, try to ground yourself. This is about bringing yourself back to the present, and reminding yourself that everything is okay. Deep breathing, focusing on your senses, or sometimes physically stepping away from a situation is what’s needed. These are all useful coping strategies, and everyone uses them at some point. It’s also encouraging to hear that you’re taking proactive steps to support your well-being, such as getting a medical alert bumbag. Remember that seeking help and utilizing resources like this is a positive step towards managing your ADHD and anxiety. You’re taking control of your health and safety, and that’s something to be celebrated.

Taking care of yourself first should be the first thing on your mind. I would be lying if I said I don’t get scared and frustrated when faced with challenges. I frequently find myself saying “Oh god, here we go again”. Truth be told, you are doing your best, and that’s all you can do… Setbacks are absolutely normal, and just because you had a a tough time, doesn’t reset your progress.

You are worthy of so much love :slightly_smiling_face: