I’m currently dealing with a highly stressful situation and Im not sure how to handle the stress and anxiety that’s coming with it. Any advice? I kinda feel like breaking down right now, but trying to keep myself together.
Breathe. Do something that chills (relaxes) you. For me it is taking Scalding hot showers (I don’t recommend it) or taking a walk. Doing something you don’t have to think about like listening to music.
What you need is time to pass by so this stressful situation goes away.
Hope it gets better.
When I feel super stressed, I try to do a few things:
- understand why I’m stressed…you’re not crazy for being anxious or stressed. Beyond the situation itself, there’s something about what the situation means to you…what’s at stake…how you feel you’re going to be exposed or invalidated…understanding what it really is that you’re stressed about is key because then you can:
- identify the lie I’m believing…at the bottom of a lot of my stress is some kind of lie like, “I’m only worth what I can produce today.” or, “I’m always going to fail,” or “I’m a failure, and everyone’s going to know it.” Or something like that. Identifying what that lie sounds like to you is really important because then you can…
- recenter on the truth…at the end of the day you can tell whether or not a certain belief is true or false is by looking at the fruit of that belief…does believing I’m a failure make my life better or worse? Definitely worse. Versus, does believing I’m loved as is make my life better or worse? Definitely better. I can fail at certain things and still be loved as is. My worth is not at risk based on what I do or don’t produce. I can still have a desire to produce even if my worth isn’t at stake. In fact, I’ll perform better. And the truth is, I AM loved. So are you! What is the truth that you need to replace your lie with?
- take the single next step…once I’m back at the truth, I feel empowered to move forward. I don’t need to focus on conquering the whole world though, and I can get overwhelmed and start back at #1. I’ve just gotta take the next right step.
That’s my advice for when your stress is through the roof!
Usually stressful situations require us to work through them or put effort into fixing something, which is very tough because they also make us want to back away and not be involved at all. It’s really difficult, and I’m sorry you have to go through this.
I would suggest taking some time within the stress to take care of yourself. Take a few minutes to breathe. Just take deep breaths and try focus on nothing but your breathing. It’s a lot more difficult than it sounds, especially when we’re in the midst of a bunch of stress. But I encourage you to try, because it can really help. Maybe put on some meditation music in the background if that helps.
I can’t really give advice for how to work through the stress, but just taking a little time to step away from the situation and take care of yourself can help a lot. I wish you the best and I believe in you.
I’ve developed this list for myself over the last few years to help manage my anxiety/depression through periods of high-stress, and I hope it helps you too!
- Take deep breaths every time you think about breathing (Using the “4-7-8 Method”)
- Consider consuming mood-enhancing tablets (Omega-3, 5-MTHF)
- Get enough sleep (Go to bed early!)
- Watch/listen to your favorite comedian
- Exercise (Swim, if possible)
- Download a meditation application (Headspace, Breathe, 10% Happier)
- Activate essential oil diffuser with lavender oil
- Temporarily change music to something relaxing (i.e. Hammock)