Isolated and

I know I’m not the only one but that category fits the best. I’m a 30 year old father of 4. I’m coming up on the 1 year anniversary of my suicide attempt. October and November are always emotionally bad for no apparent reason. I’m not suicidal anymore. I haven’t been since after the attempt. I’m still in a broken relationship so things are still tough at home. I spoke to my therapist today and he said priority number one is for me to make some friends and get in community. I need a support system. I’m looking for email friends and text friends online while I also search for connection in public settings. I’d love to talk to some of you. How have you guys been successful in finding community and making real bonds?

1 Like

Something that helped me a lot was dungeons and dragons. As it’s a sizeable time commitment but a great return on time investment that compounds. And it’s super social so you can meet a lot of people playing it. And you can introduce the game to your kids if you get into it :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’ve thought about doing that a couple of times. It had slipped my mind. thanks! Great advice!

2 Likes

I also would recommend checking the site Meetup for local events that way you can see what’s happening in your area you can get involved in that interests you :slight_smile:
And I hope it helps!!!

3 Likes

Hi friend! I think it’s great that you are wanting to try to make some connections. I know how challenging that can be. Earlier this year I went to a group for women with Autism to make some connections with other ladies that I could relate to. The couple gals that I became friends with told me about meetup.com and suggested that I sign up there to help find places that I may take interest in. No, it’s not a dating site. If you’re into board games, DND I highly recommend looking there for game groups in your local area! Or do a search for whatever you are interested in. Great way to make a friend and get connected with other people!

If you need a support system, you came to the right places. We have a large range of ages here. I’m 34. I know we have a few people that are 25-35. But also many that are younger. Feel free to join the Heart Support discord! It’s a great way to connect. You’re also welcome to add me there. I have a family styled gamer discord that my partner and I are in with other gamer people from around the communities we hang in and people we’ve been connected to for years. You’re welcome to join. We try to only invite mature people.Just a chill place to connect and chat. If you want. If not, that’s alright. The offer is on the table though!

I’m sorry to hear that you are in a broken relationship. I’ve been there! I know how challenging it can be. Communication is important. If you ever need to talk about that, know that you are more than welcome to. No judgement. Whether you talk about it here on the wall, in the real talk channel in the HS discord or you send me/someone a DM <3

Congrats on your 1 year! That’s one year of surviving and staying strong. And it seems you are getting therapy. That’s great.

You matter here friend. You’re love, cared for and important.

• Kitty
2 Likes

*We have a similar problem me and you. I’m 28 years old and I feel alone about as often as you are. Making new friends as an adult is just difficult. I only have like two good friends in my life that I hardly keep in touch with because of my busy work schedule. Getting yourself out there is how to do it I think. What interests do you have? For me its music. I am into the concert going scene (warped tour, etc.) Many people to find there for me.

4 Likes

@Shane2189
Hey friend! We covered your topic on the HeartSupport twitch stream today. Here’s the live video respone :slight_smile:
Hold Fast!

4 Likes

Wow! Thanks for the outpouring of love and support. The twitch stream blew my mind and I feel very cared for and comforted. I am feeling better lately. I’m still going to therapy. I bought a motorcycle and made a few friends through that. I’ve started hiking and rock climbing so I’ve made a few friends doing that as well. I just got accepted to Law School today with a full tuition scholarship and a living expenses scholarship too. Today is good. Thank you everyone!

1 Like

Hey! I am so glad that you felt cared for and comforted. As you should! I hope that you continue to feel better. This popped up in my feed, even though its been a few months I just wanted to pop in anyway and check on you. Sounds like you made some friends and hey, getting a new motorcycle is cool.
Congrats on law school, I hope that is going well for you! Much love!

• Kitty
1 Like