I've been thinking about genders

This is kind of a weird thing for me.

Just as a forward, I don’t question my sexuality. I never really have. I usually tell people I’m bisexual because its easy, but when it comes down to it, gender is not a deciding factor for me when it comes to significant others and so pansexual is probably more accurate. I once told a friend, as it goes with me, I don’t really have a gender ‘type’ that I prefer to be with, in fact I’m pickier about hair color than gender, but thats not what this post is about. The point of this paragraph is basically to say I don’t question my sexuality.

I have been a little unsure about gender though.

I am a female but have always considered myself pretty androgynous for the most part. When I was little I would wear hand me downs from my brother and it never bothered me. I would wear truck t-shirts and blue jeans and I had my hair short and never played with dolls. This was in the early 90s in the Bible belt where I was told I was a tomboy and never thought twice about it. Really, I gave little thought to gender for a while.

When I was older, in my teens, I would sometimes pretend I was a boy when me and my brother would play games together. It got to the point where he would ask me if I was a boy or a girl this time. I started going by a gender neutral name in school and, while it took some time to get used to people not calling my by my name (I have a very feminine name), it never bothered me.

I have never really felt an association to femininity, but at the same time, I never really felt much towards gender. I never dated people for gender, like I said, I didn’t care what they looked like or what they considered their gender to be as long as they treated me with respect. I have had relationships with males and females and for all intents and purposes it felt the same to me, except when I was in a relationship with a female, I felt as though I was the protector in the relationship (not necessarily the man in the relationship) and when I am with a man, I relinquish the protector role. I don’t choose to do this, its almost like there’s a shift in my brain. But anyways.

After some discussions with friends, I thought, I’m probably gender apathetic. It seemed to fit - I really never saw the big deal with gender for the most part, with myself or others.

Last weekend though, I went out on the town and went clothes shopping since I actually haven’t had new clothes for 13 years or so and all my clothes are falling apart. Well, I realized while clothes shopping, I get really uncomfortable at the thought of feminine clothing, basically anything frilly or with flowers or whatever. Dresses are out of the picture unless its a very special occasion (I would wear suits to school dances and whatnot; I met my husband halfway at our wedding by wearing a skirt suit.). Basically anything that would flat out be considered women’s clothes make me feel really uncomfortable, wrong. My husband even offered to look in the men’s section with me so that I would feel more comfortable. I settled on athletic shirts and tactical pants.

But it got me thinking.

I really don’t care about pronouns. I don’t care if you want to call me by my given name or Jim. That being said, I still want to figure out where I stand on gender. I don’t really consider myself gender apathetic so much anymore, because I do have an interest in people like me and where I might fit when it comes to gender classification.

The first thing I went with when I started looking into it more was genderqueer, because, while I’ve never felt a strong attachment to a specific gender, I was never wild about the idea of being female and I have always wanted a more androgynous name. It just hadn’t occurred to me how much I was put off my feminine things until I was staring the thought of looking like a girl in the face and being utterly not ok with it. So I started looking into demi genders and first I thought, ok, demigirl because I was born female but don’t feel a strong attachment to it. But I feel more comfortable with demiboy because, while I’ve always felt pretty neutral, I’ve always leaned ever more towards being more comfortable with the idea of being a boy than a girl.

I’m playing around with genderqueer demiboy in my head to see how I think it fits. I definitely think it’s more accurate than genderqueer demigirl.

But yea. I know there are a good number of people here who identify as non-binary and was wondering if anyone had any similar experiences or feelings. Im just trying to find something that feels right, if that makes sense.

8 Likes

I just go by non-binary. I could attach a gazillion micro labels, but I don’t because it doesn’t really make a difference.

3 Likes

I agree to an extent for sure. Because at the end of the day, I don’t feel that gender is as important as people make it seem in day to day life.

At the same time I am naturally curious and if something seems like it doesn’t make sense, I like to figure out why.

I know its kind of paradoxical, but thats my brain for you.

3 Likes

Well, I’m non-binary, afab. I go by they/them but I don’t exactly mind other associations. I admit, she/her makes me uncomfortable but I don’t mind being called “ma’am” or something like that (which is something my friends and I call each other as jokes). Just like I’m slowly starting to realise he/him doesn’t feel too bad either. I wouldn’t openly go by it, but it wouldn’t bother me if someone used it to address me.

But that all kind of is aside my point; When I first started questioning my gender, it started with me feeling uncomfortable with she/her pronouns. And my friend threw in “Have you thought about being non-binary?” and from then on I just kinda never stopped considering it. One night I just couldn’t sleep and texted another friend about the whole thing. She went over several pronouns (neopronouns included) with me, building up sentences about me, using said different pronouns and I stated my opinion on how it felt. Although I’d rather just not have any pronouns at all, sometimes, they/them is the closest to what feels right.

3 Likes

This is a really creative way to go about gender exploration. It never really occurred to me, to be honest. I don’t really know many people that are open about genders though, so I’m still dipping my toes in when it comes to the possibilities.

2 Likes

It only really occurred to me, because I’ve done it with a friend before, that came out as trans to me and asked if i could form some sentences with she/her and the name she was thinking about, to see how it feels.

2 Likes

this may be a dumb question, but what are neopronouns?

I totally feel this! I really only think about this myself because I haven’t had the opportunity to tell my best friend. I am afab, and sometimes i will be super femine. florals, cute dresses and mini skirts galore! but then sometimes I am just jeans and tshirts (my best friend calls this grunge fasion?). I like femininity, but the “neutral zone” seems nice too. So i’ve slowly been going by she/they now, and its nice? I think i may be agender but I don’t know many terms tbh.

Anyways, this is all to say I’m going through something similar ish and i feel you. <3

2 Likes

Thank you for sharing your experience.

I am very much in the neutral zone. I would actually love to have a more gender neutral name.

Edit: had to Google afab, heh. Im very new to all of these terms and genders and stuff too.

Agender would be lacking a gender that you identify as.

2 Likes

sorry hehe! yeah, afab is assigned female at birth and amab is assigned male at birth. I’m not sure if there is one for intersex.

Hmm, maybe not agender. to me, knowing a set gender label isn’t important, even if it bothers me some LOL i could just say gender queer :hrtcaseyshrug:

1 Like

Yea, thats kinda what I settled on for a while too because its hard to explain how I feel. I will probably keep looking around to see if I can find something that I feel fits me completely. I know its not dire in the long run, but I just want to identify how I feel is all.

2 Likes

It’s not a dumb question at all! To be honest, I needed to search it up myself to find a way to explain, haha

Neopronouns are pronouns that are used instead of she/her, he/him or they/them. It’s to give more room around gender identity. An example would be xe/xem/xyr. I’ve also seen people go by fae/faen/faeself or nya/nyan/nyanself. It’s huge variety, really

2 Likes

that’s… interesting? I don’t think I could remember those as someone’s pronouns and I’d feel bad

2 Likes

I’ve been going through something very similar, and actually just logged in to make a post about it (lol).

I think for me, its really important to have a space to play around with your gender expression/identity. So spending time trying out new clothes (kinda what you mentioned about finally going shopping and feeling uncomfortable). Maybe asking for close friends to try using pronouns with you, kinda like what someone else was saying. I also know that it’s kinda hard to find a balance between labels and just being your authentic self, if that makes sense. Hopefully you can find the right mixture for your experience and self

3 Likes

How ironic, haha. And thank you!

1 Like

It’s possible you are cassgender and Demigender.

Cassgender is a label for those who feel gender isn’t important for them nor is it prioritized, this doesn’t mean genderlesness, it may mean they may know their gender or not but aren’t so caring or give much thought on gender.

Demigender sounds good but seeing how you say you may feel neutral play around with neutrois. Some sites I really recommend to looks bad play around with labels is the Gender Wiki and LGBTA Wiki.

Theres a lot of labels you can find but as Rowan said see if non-binary works but I recommend to play around with different labels to understand your gender experience better!

3 Likes

Ik exactly how you feel. I’ve always hated wearing wemons clothes and dresses since I was a kid, and for my whole life I have consistently changed my name many many times. Not my legal name, jsut what ppl call me. I’d always hide my legal name, and go by something else. One day I started going by a male name, and for the past 3 years I’ve stuck with it. I couldn’t really care less for the name, as it doesn’t really suit me. It’s a nuetral name but I don’t think it sounds, “me”. But, seeing my childhood, I think I’ll forever have different names every 2-5 years lmao. Anyways. Idk my gender either. I think I’m non-binary, as I would love to wear feminine clothes and dresses if I were man, but I don’t know if I’d exactly want to be a man. I’m really not sure. I’ve always seen myself as neither or neutral. I like the feminine body I have but I still want too surgery. I don’t have a particular feeling to my genital area tho, except for fear and hatred sometimes. I don’t think I’d want male genitailia, or female. I kinda dotn want either. But I def want top removal, hate my chest, it’s just weird man. I always feel lik I’m exposed when I don’t wear my binder.
I can also tell the difference in identity when I switch. K has a clear identity of being trans male, his identity of feeling male feels completley different from mine, and cis. whereas the cis alters of mine, are slightly uncomfortable, but forget they’re in a feminine body for the most part. So they don’t really give a shit.

As for sexuality, holy shit am I confused. I like men, romantically and sexually, but I don’t like wemon romantically, just sexually. But yea, it’s nice to know other people like me are out there. I always hide the fact I’m nb bc I feel like no one thinks it’s real, and I’ll jsut be belittled, so instead I say I’m trans male, so they take me more seriously. But, idk if that’s, compeltley me.

3 Likes

I believe everyone is non-binary, as gender and sexuality exist on a continuum, and no two humans have identical gender or sexual orientations. Those who claim to be binary must not fully understand themselves, or they are simply doing it for social acceptance.

The trouble with pronouns is regardless of what you choose, people will make assumptions about you based on the label.

I haven’t thought about my gender or sexuality in a very long time. A few times when I was younger, I found some guys attractive, but I never approached them. My personality has attributes that are usually associated with women. And that has been pointed out to me several times. When I hear it, I feel pretty good about it. I think my wife found those attributes to be attractive as well. The main attributes are extreme gentleness, sensitivity, and the ability to love unconditionally.

The thing about gender and sexuality is that your body really doesn’t have that big of a role in your identity. It’s probably 90% cerebral. Because of that, gender identity can be complex, and also change over time.

Anyway, it’s probably good to select a gender identity as a matter of convenience rather than think of it as a way to define your uniqueness.

I think it’s wonderful that so many people here are willing to talk about it. I admire the courage that it takes.

2 Likes

It’s very interesting and inspiring to see everyone sharing their own perspective.

Gender has never been a big deal for me either. Although it’s been a couple of years, and also recently thanks to some topics on this forum, that I’ve started to understand a little more the subtleties behind how I feel and it made me curious about it too. I’m a woman and grew up identified as a girl but never was into things that are commonly identified as “feminine”. Give me high heels and I fall down, I don’t get the sorcery behind makeup, I’m not comfortable wearing dresses, I always hated my mom for saying that I “should keep my hair long” and pushing me to be a girly girl, etc.

How I feel now is a matter of intensity between neutral and something like 70% woman, but more often close to neutral. It depends on the moment but also who I’m spending time with. There’s no doubt for me that how my body was treated by some men in the past, and even as a little girl, has impacted both my sexuality and gender identity. I’m rarely very feminine when I’m spending time with a man, but I do like feeling a little more like a woman when I spend time with another woman. Maybe it’s a matter of safety, I don’t really know. I kinda like when things are not fixed though. Feeling a bit like a chameleon, lol.

Regarding the pronouns, it depends on how much I know the person or not. But that’s not really a big deal for me either. I just noticed that it can bother me a little to be called “she/her” when someone doesn’t really know me. Again, feeling a bit like it’s a matter of safety. Many times, online, people think I’m a man at first so I’m called “he/him”, and I don’t dislike it either. I was told several times that I tend to be protective and it’s seen as a masculine trait.

Another thing is that in my native language there’s no “they” pronoun and I appreciate this possibility in English. In French we have new pronouns, but they’re a mix between “he/she”, and I don’t know… it just feels weird to me, a bit simple and even ridiculous. But that’s probably because there’s some kind of distance with English that doesn’t exist with my native language.

And when it’s about sexuality/romance, I don’t really care about sexuality or gender. I fall in love with a person and it’s only that way that I’d be eventually physically attracted.

Guess we’re all complex in our own ways! It’s really fascinating and it feels like talking more and more about genders open some doors to everyone, even if it’s just to be a bit more curious about ourselves.

3 Likes

Wow, thank you so much everyone for sharing your stories. I hadn’t expected that I would get this much discussion, but I have enjoyed reading all of your posts, thank you!

I think you’re onto something here. I hadn’t heard of Cassgender before but it definitely is accurate. Funny though, I never ran into it while researching things like gender apathy, agender, etc. Demigender is probably pretty accurate too as it gives that grayness of not really feeling completely male or female.

I’m glad I’m not alone in feeling this way, I will likely continue putting thought into this because that’s how my brain do.

Edit - I took your advice, @Sky-Trev, and looked at Neutrois (this was a new one for me also) and I found a page that explains everything almost perfectly I think. Neutrois and transmasculine as I do feel a slight lean towards masculinity while still feeling neutral or maybe even without a gender. The more I think about it, the more I would express it as standing in a large, vast, grey room with no real definition. I know this must make no sense at all but that is how I see my gender.

3 Likes