I've lost hope and I don't want to continue

I have lost hope in myself, in the last weeks I have not felt well since the year began, it all started because of the pressure to choose a university degree from my family, but the truth is, I am not good at anything, besides the part of my friends has left me for being bisexual and the only person who accepted me as I am left me so I am alone and my family rejects me as well. I have tried to seek help but it has not helped me. A few days ago I tried to commit suicide but I did not do it because when I was losing knowledge, everything went black and I was scared for not seeing the light. I have also lost all hope that a future is possible for me since I do not know how to do anything and I can not find something that I like and I stopped believing in future dreams because everything goes from bad to worse.

Please if someone reads this message I need help before I do something that I may regret

1 Like

Hey @Jeffrey,

I hear you. And I’m so sorry you’ve lost hope lately. I hear that what you’re going through is very difficult right now and you have valid reasons to feel how you feel, but I want you to know, first and foremost, that you are loved and needed. And I want you to hold on to that truth, even if it’s hard to feel it right now.

The perspective of choosing a university degree can be very stressful, especially if your family is adding more pressure on your shoulders. I remember how it was for me - it was 10 years ago now - and it really felt like I was about to make an incredibly heavy decision, as if it would condition the rest of my life forever. But the truth is it’s often more impressive than it really is.

Now, I’d like to ask: do you want to go to the university? And do you feel like there is a possibility to let your family know that you don’t need this pressure from them right now? Of course, in a way that wouldn’t be a confrontation, just a conversation.

I’m so sorry a part of your friends left you because of your sexual identity. That’s truly unfair and definitely not a valid reason to step away from someone. I don’t know if you’ve heard that already, but there is nothing wrong with you. Those “friends” who left you have apparently their own limitations but it’s not about you as an individual. You are not at fault for being bisexual. You are not guilty and there is no shame to have. If I may ask, when you mention that you tried to seek for help, could you share a little bit how that happened? It’s okay if you don’t feel comfortable to talk about it right now - it’s just a way to discuss, not an obligation.

It probably feels very lonely to navigate this stress and those emotions by yourself. I’m so proud of you for reaching out right now and not giving up. You are making a good and healthy decision for yourself by being here. Know that this is a safe place where you are loved, cared for and respected.

I personally know how hard it is to keep moving on after trying to take our own life way. I imagine that you feel very vulnerable right now, and I want to encourage you to take care of yourself, as much as possible. The fact that you don’t see any healthy issue right now doesn’t mean there isn’t any. It is a matter of time and reflection on your options, which is a thought-process that you can do right here in this community, at your own pace. We’re here to support you, the best way we can, and we the means that we have, as individuals. You are not alone. :hrtlegolove:

1 Like

Hi Micro

I really really appreciate a lot of what you said, when I was reading it I started to cry

Answering your questions, the truth is that I want to go to university but I’m not good at anything and since this is the year to ask for scholarships because my family puts more pressure on me than it should and I can’t tell them anything because they start saying things that really hurt me a lot

About my sexual orientation, I defined myself a few months ago and I had only told my best friend since she is very open to everything and she told me that she supported me, but with my other friends I told them by phone call and when I told them that I was bisexual, they hung up on me and blocked me from all the networks. Now I have no one since my best friend who supported me is busy with personal matters and the truth is I did not want to bother her because she is already dealing with more problems.

Thank you for your words, I appreciate it

PD: Sorry if I was late in answering but I had to be in class

1 Like

Hey Jeffrey,
Thank you so much for reaching out. I can see you are really hurting right now and have a lot going on with the pressures of choosing a degree and the reactions from your friends and family regarding your sexuality. I can’t imagine that pain and pressure. I also want to say I am so very glad you are here. I am so thankful you didn’t commit suicide. Although there are so many uncertainties in life and especially in the world we live in currently, it can be so hard to see past all the pain, yet you are still fighting. You are reaching out for help and support and that takes so much strength! You are strong, you are worthy, and you are so very loved. You have an entire community who loves you and wants to support you as best they can.

I think family and society place a lot of pressure on picking a degree and it causes a lot of tension and distress, especially when there isn’t necessarily a degree you are passionate about, but you are so much more than the degree you get and it is more than ok to not know exactly what you want to do or have everything planned out already. You’re dealing with a lot right now and are doing the best you can to even just get through the day. That takes so much energy in and of itself. So I would encourage you to be gentle with yourself, and truly take one day at a time. Sometimes that is all we can do and that is ok! Just because you can’t find something that you like now doesn’t mean you never will. I myself am still searching! And although I don’t know what’s in store yet, I know that I am doing the best I can and things will fall into place in their own time, the way they are supposed to. You also have this community who would be honored to walk alongside you through this journey and support you as best we can. You are so worthy just for being you. Not for what degree you have or whether or not you know what you want your future to look like. I truly believe a future is possible, for you. It just takes some time for it to come into focus. You truly can do this!

Hannah Rhodes

1 Like

Hi Hannah

Thanks for your words, as I told Micro they mean a lot to me right now. I have tried to find something that I can really do for college but I couldn’t calmly. Thank you for saying that I am strong, the truth is that sometimes I do not believe the things they say about me but thank you for saying it, it is still hard to look back as you say but I can not because of everything, or what happened I try to see what is coming but I do not know, I want to find what fulfills me but I don’t even know where to start but I need to search

Thank you hannah

1 Like

Hey @Jeffrey,

Thank you so much for your response. :heart: No worries for when you reply, we just all do as we can and that’s totally fine.

Answering your questions, the truth is that I want to go to university but I’m not good at anything

It’s interesting that you say that - what makes you believe you’re not good at anything?

and I can’t tell them anything because they start saying things that really hurt me a lot

I’m really sorry you can’t talk to them about your stress and the fact that they say hurtful things to you. You don’t deserve any of it. I come from a family where it wasn’t possible to be vulnerable either, and had my share of emotional abuse as I grew up. It’s a really tough position to be in, but I want to encourage you to hang in there. If what they say to you hurts, then it doesn’t deserve your attention and energy. I know it’s easier said than done, especially when it’s about family and people who are important to us. Somehow we still care about what they say about us/to us. But it’s important to keep in mind that their attitude is the reflection of their own heart and struggles, not of who you are as an individual. :heart:

but with my other friends I told them by phone call and when I told them that I was bisexual, they hung up on me and blocked me from all the networks.

I’m so sorry. :frowning: I can imagine how heartbreaking this was for you and I wish they wouldn’t have been limited by their own beliefs or whatever. You’ve been very strong and brave for defining yourself and opening up about it. You did the right thing. You can lean on that knowledge, friend. You didn’t do anything wrong.

Now I have no one since my best friend who supported me is busy with personal matters and the truth is I did not want to bother her because she is already dealing with more problems.

I hear you. I often (if not always) feel like if I reach out to a friend I’m going to bother them, that they have other issues to deal with, things that are way more important. But your friend also told you she supports you. You trust and care for each other obviously, and this can be so much more important than any circumstance. I want you to know that you are not a bother or a burden. Maybe reaching out to her and checking on each other could be welcome for both of you right now. If you’re afraid to overwhelm her, maybe you can try to suggest to schedule a time together, so you both have the freedom to decide if you’re okay with it or not. <3

1 Like

Hi Micro

Answering this is that the truth is that although I am still too young to think about this, I have tried what I really liked but nothing fills me up and sometimes I see the reality that leads me, although I am a great student with a good average I feel that that does not It serves me for life and it scares me.

Thank you to say that, the problem where I live the population is super religious and here all homosexual people are “punished” and repressed, but I still rethink what happened, it still hurts a lot because they were my lifelong friends but I don’t know how to get out.

When she said that I felt something in my heart, she is the one who gives me peace and the only person I am still alive for, when I tried to commit suicide for some reason I remembered her voice and cut the rope before losing consciousness. I told her to watch a movie every week or a series to be closer because we can’t see each other because of the confinement.

1 Like

Of course! You very much are strong. Even if it may be hard to believe, the more you challenge that negative narrative within you that says you are weak, not good enough or not strong enough, the easier it will become to believe that you are strong, you are good enough. It isn’t always an easy process, but it is one I believe is worth it.

I think even just wanting to search for what fulfills you is a start! The more you search the more you will be able to narrow down what you do like. Even if you only find things you don’t like to start off with that is still valuable information! Knowing what you don’t want is just as important as knowing what you do!

I know a lot of colleges have career planning where they can give you a form with questions that allows you to see what interests you and then you are able to talk with a guidance/admissions counselor about what those fields involve/what jobs they consist of. Maybe that could be a possible place to start to help get some ideas and brainstorm a bit?

2 Likes

I have heard of these programs with orientation exams but never with counselors, I need to see how the situation progresses to be able to do my paperwork and see if it can help me.

1 Like

For sure! I think it would be worth checking out!

2 Likes

Answering this is that the truth is that although I am still too young to think about this, I have tried what I really liked but nothing fills me up and sometimes I see the reality that leads me, although I am a great student with a good average I feel that that does not It serves me for life and it scares me.

Oh, you know there is no age for thinking about those things - at least, that’s my inner belief. Your age doesn’t invalidate how you feel. However, it’s okay to feel lost and lack of purpose with your studies. Being a student is a little bit like a stepping stone. As a result, it gives you the means to follow a personal goal, but the process itself can be very foggy sometimes. Many times I’ve felt like I’ve lost my way and I questioned my decisions. There were just so many classes that are not useful for me right now, yet it was part of a bigger “system” with a list of requirements to meet. How you feel, especially now with the perspective of going to the university, is part of figuring out what you want in your life - and also what you don’t want. As much as it doesn’t give you all the answers right now… I hope you can find some comfort in knowing that how you feel is okay and normal. That a majority of people experience something similar, the same doubts and questions, and with time and experience you’ll get more and more answers. What matters is to allow yourself to try, to make mistakes sometimes, but still to learn.

Getting back to your first statement, being a student is only a part of who you are though. Your entire life is not tied to school, grades and classes - even if those are important goals. You are still more than all of this, and certainly not defined by it. Your capacity to do good, your heart, your spirit, are not trapped between the walls of your school or future university.

Thank you to say that, the problem where I live the population is super religious and here all homosexual people are “punished” and repressed, but I still rethink what happened, it still hurts a lot because they were my lifelong friends but I don’t know how to get out.

I’m really sorry you’re living in a country where homosexual people are shamed and targeted. That’s definitely not fair and just makes me so mad. Even in countries where LGBTQ+ have legal rights, those rights are constantly something to fight for. It’s easy to hate, and a lot of people are not ready to make the effort to talk and create more understanding. Again, regardless of this external context, you are not wrong for being you. You are not wrong for being able to love. Some people miss that reality, but they are the ones who are blinding themselves with lies and hatred.

When she said that I felt something in my heart, she is the one who gives me peace and the only person I am still alive for, when I tried to commit suicide for some reason I remembered her voice and cut the rope before losing consciousness. I told her to watch a movie every week or a series to be closer because we can’t see each other because of the confinement.

I am so glad you have this friend by your side. It’s so precious to do life with people who genuinely care about our well-being. I am also so very proud of you for reaching out during such a difficult time. You’ve been very brave and cutting the rope was a good decision, friend. You are alive, breathing. That is the most powerful and beautiful gift you could give to yourself. The obstacles and hardships are still there - but so are you. And there is so much strength within you. Never forget that moment when you cut the rope. It was the manifestation of your resilient and perseverant heart. That call for life and opportunities to smile, laugh, spend good moments with the people you love. You deserve all the smiles and peace. Keep hope in your heart, friend. Always. :heart:

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.