Just a vent

I’m so tired of people just giving unsolicited advice on what works for depression. And also that feeling that I need to explain to people why some days it’s hard to get out of bed or even get ready for the day and sometimes it’s okay. It’s like people don’t trust me that I know what works and what doesn’t and that I always need to explain why I’m doing what I’m doing. And I know that those people mean well, but sometimes the giving of the explanation just takes too much energy and it’s that thing that makes me scared that I will need to have to explain myself for the rest of my life… I hope not though… it just sometimes makes me feel like I’m not completely functional and everyone else knows better and thinks that I haven’t been trying…
Just a vent

5 Likes

Oh Nyn’… I hear you. People generally have good intentions by sharing advice, and we all fall into that trap sometimes, but it’s so frustrating when you’re on the other end of the conversation and didn’t ask for any kind of guidance. It’s even hurtful when it makes you feel like people assume that you never tried things that seem obvious.

As for depression, I believe this struggle that is to jump from theory to practice is both the most frustrating and underestimated aspect. It’s not “just” about motivation, otherwise there wouldn’t be so many people struggling with depression these days. But at the same time, when you try to be in the shoes of someone who doesn’t struggle with this, it makes sense that this invisible wall is just hard to be seen, and is generally dismissed.

I hear your frustration, friend. On a positive note, this kind of conversation can be opportunities to share your experience and make someone understand how it feels to live with a depression. Just to invite them to be more curious by educating themselves about this subject, so they can also muscle their listening skills.

I have the privilege to know and to witness that you are trying (AND progressing), a lot, and I’m so very proud of you my friend. Keep up the good work.

1 Like

I know… I just get tired of having to explain it…
sorry…

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.