Just broke up and feeling down

First post here.

My girlfriend and I just broke up tonight. I sort of saw it coming but I’m still in disbelief that it actually happened.

She says that she didn’t feel like I was meeting her expectations of what she wants in a significant other and that it wasnt working for her, which is fair…

But for me, I was perfectly happy with her. I loved her dearly and it’s so heartbreaking to think that all those times we’ve shared and talked are now going to be buried in the past.

I know that time will heal and that I’ll be able to look back and learn from it, but it’s going to be so hard having so much more time on my own and not being able to talk to her everyday about random things. The loneliness and quietness are going to be the worst part.

I already miss her, and it’s going to be hard to get through these next few nights alone.

Thanks for reading,
-Brian

Hey man,
That’s so rough. I’m so so sorry.

Well done for posting, that on its own takes a lot of courage!
Sometimes relationships just don’t work, and that can be heart breaking when someone you love so much feels like it’s not working.
Sometimes it’s just not meant to be. Do not feel guilty or blame yourself for this break up as relationships of any kind work both ways.

You seem to have parted on some-what good terms. Perhaps you could consider keeping her as a friend?

Please don’t isolate yourself, speak to the people around you and take this time to reflect on the good memories you have together.

I really do hope you feel better soon. I’m so sorry to hear that this has happened and if you ever need to talk I’m here.

Hold fast friend,
Luna x

1 Like

Brian,

This is not easy to go through, but I believe in you and I know you’re strong – posting here about something like this is proof of that. I also think it might be a good idea to consider still being friends with her.

I would also encourage you to reach out to a friend and explain what happened so that they can help you through the loneliness of it. Getting closer with a friend can help more than you might expect with that sort of thing.

Also, it seems like this relationship has been good for you. You have some good memories, you learned what it’s like to be in a healthy relationship, and you have experiences to help you find something like it again. I would urge you to not rush into a new relationship, but rather to enjoy being single for a bit. Society seems to think it’s necessary to be in a relationship all the time, but it seems to me that a lot of unhealthy relationships stem from someone rushing in to a new relationship after a tough breakup. Don’t take all my words as fact, but this is just what I have seen.

Anyway, I know you’ll be strong enough and stable enough to keep your head on straight, to grieve as long as you need and then move forward. You can do this, friend.

Yeah man…tough season…tough because things will remind you…LIFE will remind you – when you want to share highs and lows with her, when you want to hang out with someone, when you’re on social media, etc – all of those will resurface the pain, like alcohol cleansing a wound. It stings, and it’s good to feel the pain because it means that the wound is getting cleaned and will have the opportunity to heal. You already know everything will be okay, but you also just need to express the pain you’re feeling because today…it sucks…

I hear you man. I’m sorry the relationship ended while you were still happy within it. You’re not alone in your heartbreak, though, and you’ve got what it takes to weather this storm.