Learning to take care of myself

i’ve started trying to go easier on myself.

i’ve been forcing myself to eat a snack or take a break from trying to work even if i haven’t made any progress yet because i shouldn’t have to earn food.

i won’t let myself stress over schoolwork past midnight. if i still haven’t finished something i will wake up in the morning and do it then.

i stopped myself from saying i looked pathetic for the way i was trying to cope with my anxiety the other day, there is nothing pathetic about addressing your needs.

i’ve been trying to eat more. i’ve always struggled with making myself eat but i know my body needs fuel so im trying. none of it is very healthy but it is better to eat a grilled cheese or a bag of chips than nothing at all.

i refuse to feel bad about my grades. letting that get to me is only going to make my life harder.

i am proud of myself for making it through my first semester of college. i am proud of myself for getting here. i am proud of myself for still being alive and for all of the progress i have made. i am trying not to cry writing this.

i’ve been trying to treat myself with care for the first time, and i still have a long way to go but its a start.

i know these are all very small in the grand scheme of things, but they are a big deal to me. i have struggled my whole life with valuing myself in any way so these baby steps are very big for me.

i just wanted to be able to share that with people who will hopefully understand and be proud of me too.

thank you <3

(please feel free to share ways you’ve been learning to look after yourself as well)

6 Likes

Welcome to Heart Support! I admire what you’ve accomplished, and proud that you’ve chosen to share your experience with us. I’ve always hesitated to say, “I’m proud of you,” because it infers that I’m taking at least some credit for the other person’s efforts and accomplishments. You deserve all the credit, hence you have my admiration and respect.

2 Likes

Hey Friend, welcome to Heartsupport, Firstly I am so very grateful for your post, I am so thankful that you chose to post your progress and I am completely proud of you for being so productive and finding ways to improve your life. This post not only shows us what great changes you have made and lets keep it real here, these are not small things, they are huge changes for you that have and will make such a difference but it also allows others to see what can be done. Again thank you so much, you will have helped a lot of people by sharing this and I hope you will stick around and continue to let us know how you are getting on. Much Love Lisa x

4 Likes

hi tenero!

welcome to the heartsupport community! really thankful that you can be here and feel comfortable to share this awesome progress with all of us. i’m really happy that you are going easier on yourself. the points you’ve shared on how exactly you are changing your mindset on things like stress control, stomping out negative thoughts, and being more proud of your accomplishments and progress. i know you mention how it’s all small in the grand scheme of things but i think otherwise. these small changes to your ways of thinking and acting are all puzzle pieces to lift you up to new heights, empowering you to be the best version of yourself you can be. i am so dang proud of you and i am celebrating alongside you on this inspiring progress. please keep moving forward, my friend, i look forward to hearing from you soon on how things are going!

love,
twix

3 Likes

Hi tenero,

I really believe that you have been looking after yourself very well, you have a very positive mindset and I really admire you for that. I am proud of you for you being proud of yourself. You are changing yourself to become a better person and that’s not always very easy to do. This is real progress and I don’t see how you won’t keep progressing. Stay strong, keep going, nobody can stop you. Thank you for sharing this post with us :hrtlegolove:

4 Likes

Hello, tenero! Welcome to HeartSupport! :hrtlegolove:

Reading this post made me so happy. I’m so glad you are working on being kind to yourself and setting boundaries in your life. I’m so proud of you. You sound like an amazing person who cares about themself. Thank you for writing this and sharing this with us.

Sleep is definitely important and you can always save tasks to do after a good night’s sleep. 100%. And you are so right that eating something is always better than eating nothing. As someone who also struggles with remembering to eat I completely understand those thoughts.

If you ever feel like you need a little extra support in making sure you continue taking care of yourself or need some accountability help or anything I wanted to tell you about another awesome part of the HeartSupport community. They are small groups of people who meet up on our Discord server called Action Groups. They get together once a week and share their journeys and struggles and keep each other accountable in their goals. So if you ever want to check them out or need a little extra support I hope you keep it in mind.

You have made so many wonderful strides in your life and I hope you continue looking after yourself and following this path of self-care and improvement. You’ve got this, new friend. And I hope you continue to keep us posted on your journey, both ups and downs. We are always here to support you :hrtlegolove:

4 Likes