Living with a broken heart

Living with a Broken Heart

Remember what the Tin Man said in the “Wizard of Oz” after he finally got a heart….

“Now I know I’ve got a heart because it’s breaking.”

If someone you love died, your heart is probably broken. So how do you live with a broken heart?

The answer isn’t how you fix it or move beyond it. The skill is learning to live with your grief as an ongoing way of being in the world. It’s the way you honor that which you love.

What I’m proposing is that, with enough healing, living with heartbreak can become natural, and very normal.

From my personal and professional experience, I can tell you that as you embark on your healing journey, you’ll start crying a whole lot more. Not just to clear pain, but for the simplest of everyday reasons, and out of nowhere. You’ll cry when you see a bird, a can of paint, an apple, or even the shape of a cloud.

Random things will make you cry.

The heart is designed to grieve, it wants to grieve……it has to grieve!

Especially when it’s broken.

This is the price you pay for love. The loss of the life you thought you had, the life you once knew and held so dear. Loss of a dream you believed was true.

But you can also find and feel grief in opening your heart.

Opening it to love and to new possibilities. Opening it to what the future holds.

Isn’t that what life is all about? Endings and beginnings, closings and openings? The heart was designed to navigate you through this forever winding adventure called life. But you have to be willing to feel……and to live with a broken heart.

Here’s the thing……you can learn to live with your broken heart by befriending your grief.

You can discover the love that still exists around you……and share that love with others who are also living with a broken heart.

Gary Sturgis - “Surviving Grief”

5 Likes

Appreciate you sharing this, @Wings.

“(…) and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater.” - I couldn’t help but thinking of this saying of Tolkien while reading the text you’ve shared. Always loved and embraced this man’s heartfelt and profundly human perspective about love and grief.

It grows perhaps the greater. It’s worth trying to see by ourselves.

5 Likes

Thank you for that @Wings, probably like so many others it is something that I think about a lot and fear greatly and also don’t think I will ever truly conquer when it happens to certain people that I love so much but reading things like this give a glimmer of hope.
That, well! maybe you can? Still working on actually typing or saying the words but you know what I mean. Thank you. Much love to you. :heart:

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.