Lonely i guess

I keep trying to make friends and nobody likes me. I don’t know what I do or say that’s wrong. I don’t even want to hang out with my only friend now because whenever I do we’re always talking to new people and they always favour her over me so eventually I just stay quiet since nobody is really listening to me anyways. I left school to try and make more friends even if it was online and i’m no better off than I was there. Why don’t people ever like me? I never even get a chance…I’m just so tired of always being alone

1 Like

Hey @echo,

I’m so sorry you’ve been feeling so alone. I know it’s a feeling you’ve been carrying for a long time now and I wish it could be different. It will. Maybe not instantely but things will get better, for sure.

I wonder if you wouldn’t find some benefits in challenging your thoughts. I’m not assuming anything, I just wonder, when you say:

I keep trying to make friends and nobody likes me.

With what objective facts/elements do you come to this conclusion that nobody likes you? There’s no obligation to reply. I only ask as sometimes we don’t see enough worth in ourselves to even consider the idea that others could be interested by us. And when we’re struggling with this, anything can be triggering. Just as you describe, the fact that a close friend could seem to receive more attention than you can trigger your doubts and fears.

It’s hard to feel like no one listen. I lived most of my life thinking that my voice doesn’t matter and couldn’t matter to anyone. And just like you I spent a lot of time to hide and censor myself. As I grew up no one was really here to remind me that I could speak. But hiding is not a solution. It only nourrishes the negative thoughts you could have about yourself.

There could be a lot of reasons behind this situation: sometimes people are not caring enough, sometimes we expect too much from others. Nothing that couldn’t be solved through some honest communication and introspection as well. But in any case, your voice matters. You don’t have to hide or to stay quiet. You have the right to express yourself, whether you are validated by others or not, immediately or not.

When it’s about making friends, I also find it helpful to participate in communities or groups (IRL or online) of people who share common interests. Do you have any passion or hobby that could be a good start? Or even something you always wanted to try but didn’t yet. It can be interesting to think about it.

Again, I’m sorry you feel alone. I’ve been feeling the same weight for the past few days and I understand how heavy it is. If I could give you a giant hug right now I’ll do it without any hesitation.

You know you are not 100% alone though. This community is here for you, always. Maybe it’s not the same but it’s still very real. You matter, friend. You are not worthless or insignificant. You are not meant to hide and stay silent. :hrtlegolove:

1 Like