Looking for suggestions on how to manage time/plan better/stick with said plan

I think a big part of what I struggle with Is managing my time and when I hit a dead end I rich to do things and then those things don’t get done because it is just physically impossible.

I’ve tried planning out my time but I don’t know if I’m just not doing it in the right way or what- and a lot of the time I just give up because I hit a low spot or I just get angry because it’s not working for me.

I’ve tried bullet journals, but I don’t really have the patience for that; I’ve tried certain apps but it’s typically hard for me to figure them out.

I guess a big thing is just sticking to it- I guess all I am asking is does anyone have any tips on how to plan and stick to it? Any insight on some new planning ideas- whether it be in writing or a planner app- will be greatly appreciated.

I know it also takes my own will power too- to just keep doing it even when I don’t want to. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Hello friend! I know exactly how that feels, I used to be in a situation just like that where i just couldn’t get things planned and done, but then i found out the fool proof way to achieve this goal!
My first tip is to make a day calendar. Check what you need to routinely do each day on a specific hour set, including work hours, maybe exercise hours, etc.
Then, look at your calendar and see what free hours you have. Using that as a basis, plan your extra stuff there: a project, a stream, practicing a sport or instrument, etc.
My second tip is to not get flustered if you just can’t seem to finish some of the projects that you have. Unless there is a deadline, there is plenty of time to finish most projects. Each time you work, think of it this way: you are now closer to finishing whatever it is you want to do than you were yesterday.
Finally, be consistent and stick to the schedule. If you want to get things done, it’s essential to have the consistency in your hours to achieve what you want. At the end of the day, look at your new day calendar and see what you did and what you didn’t do, and if you didn’t achieve something, Don’t worry! Tomorrow is another day to complete your goals!

I hope this helped you a tad bit, and if you ever need anything else, Hit me up friend! Stay awesome! We believe in ya!

2 Likes

Hey @Lyss,

I’m so happy to hear that you’re fighting back!! Time management is a BIG step in the right direction! I’m a huge advocate of setting goals. While learning to manage your time and while creating goals, make sure you’re following the “SMART” guideline. “SMART” stands for:

• Specific (simple, sensible, significant).
  • Measurable (meaningful, motivating).
  • Achievable (agreed, attainable).
  • Relevant (reasonable, realistic and resourced, results-based).
  • Time bound (time-based, time limited, time/cost limited, timely, time-sensitive).

You can find out more here:

Or here:

https://www.yourcoach.be/en/coaching-tools/smart-goal-setting.php

Or here:

https://www.smartsheet.com/blog/essential-guide-writing-smart-goals

You rock! You got this! :slight_smile:

-Eric

1 Like

Thanks friend :slightly_smiling_face: you are a true hype man.

@Lyss,

Thank you for reaching out and sharing! I know it can be a challenge to articulate this and I’ll do my best to share my own personal experience.

First, kudos! Anytime there is a desire to improve or learn in life it is a great opportunity for growth and development in a positive way.

Second, I would try and figure out what type of learning style defines you. Do you thrive better through visual learning? Learn by doing and practicing? etc. Whatever you feel is the best for you, take that and run with it.

Third, chose a method and stick with it. I know this seems to be self-explanatory, but for me, it was the most helpful. It was the most helpful, because the longer I am on any sort of method or plan, I need to be able to give it enough time to see it through.

Lastly, map out your day and be as detailed as possible. Example would be lunch for one hour, drive time to work 20 minutes, work for 8 hours, etc. This can be tedious but it is also realistic and has helped me tremendously. Also, remember don’t be too hard on yourself. Life happens and there always are things that come up we don’t plan on, so try and be flexible.

You can do it! Be encouraged, this can take time (no pun intended, ha!) You are on the right track! Hope this was encouraging. Please let me know if you need any help, I would be more than happy to help!

-L

2 Likes

Hey there -

I’ve been where you’re at. I have ADHD and planning/organizing was hard for a really long time.
If you tend to have a LOT of deadlines, appointments, etc. - try this app called Cozi. It’s NOT hard to figure out and it will remind you of stuff.

I also use an app called Wunderlist where you can make a list and just mark stuff off as its done.

Additionally - just focus on your priorities. Learn what you HAVE to get done and tackle that first… then go on to the next project or responsibility from there.

Hang in tehre and just do what works for you.

Ben

1 Like