Losing my outlet

Ive always had a hard time expressing or managing my emotions. The gym has always been my outlet. Its my iron therapy than ive never found anything to replace. I turn on music to level 11 and try my hardest to be the hardest working, strongest animal in there. Ive never been in classically “great shape” but ive always prided myself on being 1 of the biggest n strongest in the room.

I had neck surgery 2 days ago, had to have 2 discs fused together. No idea how long til i can go back to the gym and then when i can, to what degree. I just feel so lost, i feel like its always been my friend that’s always been there…now i dont know when ill ever see them again.

@ScreamingSilence

I can’t imagine how hard it must be to not be able to do the one thing that helps you with your emotional well being. I just recently started getting into the habit of going for daily brisk walks, as I’ve noticed it helps somewhat with my mental health. If something happened where I couldn’t do that everyday (if I choose to), I, like you, would feel like an outlet was being taken away from me. It would seem unfair. Like, there’s this “one thing” that’s helped me, and now it’s been ripped away from me. I’m sorry you are having to go through this.

Can you think of anything else, even a small thing, that you might be able to take up as a hobby to help you through this time? Perhaps writing, playing an instrument, reading, or something else? I know it won’t be the same. But maybe it will give you something else to look forward to in the mean time until you can work out again.

Hi there @ScreamingSilence! ( ´ ▽ ` )ノ

I want to encourage you to watch this heartsupport video with Garrett Russell of Silent Planet talk about the time he lost his ability to play basketball, how it affected him, and how he was able to overcome the huge loss.
Though that deals more about having a hobby or career tie become your identity, I feel like it still has some relevance to your case, and I hope it can help encourage you through this period you’re going through.

Exercising is definitely an amazing outlet to help you get through and let go of emotions and just feel better overall in the physical and mental health department.
And I definitely agree with @NomadicWanderer when they say try and explore new hobbies in the meantime!
There are many other hobbies out there that are great for helping you express your emotions.
Writing, journaling, and creating art are the ones off the top of my head.

And you never know! Other hobbies such as gardening or knitting could totally be your new therapy jam when it comes to expressing and managing your emotions as well!
I know a couple of folks who love gardening so much because it helps them get through the stresses they have to deal with. ( ̄▽ ̄)

I hope your neck makes a swift and wonderful recovery! (/^▽^)/:sparkles:

-Deer