Medication

For a little while I’ve been thinking about looking into taking something like an SSRI for Anxiety. I’ve been watching some videos on them but I dont know how to go about it. I’m bad at bringing things up and talking about things. And I’m assuming my mother will tell me that I dont need it and I won’t be able to actually take it.

4 Likes

Before talking to your mom about taking a medication, talk to a therapist, and together you can discuss the issues that you’re having, and whether it makes sense to ask a doctor for medication. If you have the support of a therapist, your mom is likely to be far less resistant to the idea.

It can be hard for parent to accept that their child needs medication. Often, it leads to them questioning their parenting skills, or belief that their parenting skills are being called into question. That’s why talking to a therapist can be helpful. You can discuss how best to approach your mom. In my opinion, it would be ideal if there was a way that you can convey that your need for help isn’t significantly related to her parenting skills.

Modern life is stressful, full of burdensome expectations, and often far too busy. Humans evolved to live a far less complicated lifestyle than we now face. Therefore, it’s not surprising that many of us need help in dealing with anxiety. Sometimes I think it’s more unnatural to not need help.

It’s good that you are thinking about getting help. Too often, people will not acknowledge the need, and their symptoms just don’t go away.

Let us know how it’s going.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.