Minor health troubles

So I went to the doctors today and they told me I need to gain weight (16 lbs…) and that could be the reason that my periods are so irregular (a little tmi, I know). The thing is Im not good at the whole weight gain thing like at all and everybody in this culture glorifies losing fat and cutting down on pounds and dieting and I feel so alone. I have no interest in food and gaining that much weight even though I only weigh 94 pounds (im about 5’4") it makes me feel scared and insecure but if I dont my health is potentially at risk… Part of me thinks i may even have ARFID or the start of it. Im just…scared…for so many reasons.
Thanks for listening/reading whoever clicks on this, I appreciate it.

1 Like

Star my friend I am so sorry you are dealing with this. That extremely hard to deal with. I personally do have ARFID its not easy to handle and to learn to be okay with living with it. You arent alone tho. Yes I agree if your doctor is encouraging you to eat stuff than that would be wise to do so. I am sorry you are fearful of this but just know that you arent alone in those feelings I have personally dealt with them too. That desire to not eat is extremely hard. For me personally I had to find foods that worked for me as a safety foods aka foods that I will eat even when I dont feel like eating or dont have the desire to eat. So perhaps find something that is like that. For me it was bagels and cream cheese. Yes I still have my days I dont want to eat that but I will try to eat it. Its not easy but there are a bunch of resources. I know a few of the people I have connected with are on Instagram I would love to help share some of the info with you on that. For me my weight has always been an issue I am on meds now that help with my mental health so I can more or less focus on getting to a good point but sometimes we just have to take the steps we can to be the best we can. Know that you are not alone in this and we are here for you.

1 Like

Hey there Star! I’m sorry it’s been a stressful time with regards to your weight. It sounds like the doctor has given you good advice, though, and they are a trustworthy source when it comes to that type of thing. Putting on 16 pounds wouldn’t make you in any way unhealthy or overweight - it would put you at a very healthy weight for your height. It’s very hard to find ways around not wanting to eat, and I can relate to some extent. What I found good was also getting into a healthy physical routine, as well as getting back into eating properly. Obviously all things in moderation and it needs to be carefully calculated so you don’t go either too hard on the sports or too hard on the food, but it helps appease that feeling of “oh gosh I’m getting fat”, all the while gaining the weight you need to be healthy. I hope you know that your weight doesn’t equal your value, and you are still a wonderful person and very much loved! Best of luck :heart:

1 Like

I’d be scared too, so I’ll be praying for you. I’m actually someone who wants to gain weight. When I try sharing that with people, most of them scoff at me. I’m 5’10 and 174 pounds. The heaviest I’ve ever been in my life. The reason I want to gain is because I exercise, lift weights, and would like to gain size, muscle. What comes to mind when I think of your situation is maybe take very small steps in achieving the goal your Dr has set for you. Make one small change and see if that works. Maybe look up a list of foods that will help you gain weight and see if there are some on that list that you like:)

1 Like

Thank you all for responding, it means the world to me. The idea of comfort foods to fall back on and just knowing that I’m not the only one trying to gain weight or struggling with food makes it feel less lonely and easier to manage. Im going to try adding back at least yoga or some sort of exercise (it was the one thing that really built my body positivity) as soon as possible and try to find a nutritionist to help. Thank you for the support once more. Time to take some baby steps towards hopefully better health

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 365 days. New replies are no longer allowed.