Moving out alone

So, I currently still live with my family. I’m going to be turning 18 this summer and would like to move out asap. It not that my family is abusive, though they do take a toll they don’t realize they have on me. Plus, there as something’s I’d like to be able to do some stuff I can’t while living at home.

How do I go about moving and finding a place? I want it to be a few cites away, at least. just to have that may, and town where people don’t really know me. My main concerne is being unable to keep a healthy relationship with friends and family if I’m living away, since none of them like travelling.

But besides any possible advice on that concern… How do you suggest finding a place to live? I’d like to start keeping my eyes open asap. So I have ideas of what I like and what I can get for my budget.

I’d like to rent a small house, where I’m the only occupant, which I think I need to work on my codependency issues.

3 Likes

Moving out alone to work on codependency is a big step, and a very mature one! I wish you well on your journey!

That said, living on your own is hard. I can’t imagine having to live on my own at 18, but we do what we need to when it becomes necessary.

It’s good that you have a budget in mind going into this. Make sure it also accounts for insurance, utilities, food, transportation, and a little bit of fun–if you don’t allow yourself to have a little fun, you’ll go crazy and blow the budget, like a diet without cheat days. Also keep in mind that you’ll have to put down a security deposit up front.

Finding a place isn’t too hard. There are plenty of websites that show rentals with price filters. Even home buying sites like Zillow and realtor.com have rental sections. Getting a house will probably be more expensive than an apartment, but keep your mind open to location and living conditions, and I’ll bet it wouldn’t be too hard to find something that suits your needs. Good luck, and let us know how it goes!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 365 days. New replies are no longer allowed.