Music saves the day

Well this is new for me. The new AILD promo video for HeartSupport brought me here. I’ve been a big fan of ABR for years now, but wasn’t made aware of this platform that Jake helped create until recently. It got me thinking about how music, in general, has influenced so many things in my life. I honestly don’t know what I would do without it.

I’ve struggled with (self-diagnosed) anxiety and depression for quite some time. I’ve decided to forego prescribed medications because I’ve seen the dependency that they can create through friends and family. Seems to be a never ending cycle. I’ve read some self-help things here and there, but it’s easier read than done. The one and only thing that seems to truly help when I’m feeling especially down and out has been music. LOUD music. I throw in my ear buds and crank it. Music has a way of saying (or screaming) what we’re feeling on the inside. Even though I’ve never met the majority of the people I listen to, I feel a deep connection with them through music. I think to myself “man, they totally get it. They’ve been where I’m at and they’ve found a way to express all of that raw emotion”

I grew up with a couple of musicians. My father and my sister both play guitar and sing. As a result, I’ve spent a good portion of my life surrounded by musically inclined people. I never took the time to learn to play an instrument myself, but I can crank out some vocals when the moment hits me. I’m grateful to have been in the presence of such talent as it has broadened my understanding of music as a whole. It really is a great equalizer.

So I guess what I’m trying to say is, take some time to make a playlist of your favorite songs. Continue to add to it every day. Sometimes finding new music that speaks to you can be difficult. There’s a TON of stuff out there that really just doesn’t resonate with me at all. Once you’ve got a decent set of 20+ songs put together, queue it up and think about how said playlist describes you as a person. Personify it, if you will. If someone else were to listen to your playlist, what do you think it would say about you as a person? After all, music is the soundtrack of our lives. “Art is how we decorate space, music is how we decorate time” -unknown

2 Likes

Hello!

Thank you for being here and sharing this!! It sounds like music has really played a huge part in your life! I am really happy to hear that it has provided you so much comfort and allowed you to make connections through it. I know I definitely feel the same way about music. It really does have a way of putting into words what we aren’t always able to. Music truly is special!

Hannah Rhodes

Hi friend!!

I am so glad you are here! Thank you for sharing a little bit of your story with us! I am so glad that music helps you heal, it’s such a powerful tool. Music has helped me in some of my darkest days too. It’s so comforting to be able to listen to your favorite songs and escape for a little while. I hope you continue to find healing through music and now that you’re here through this community!