My art sucks, and I'm worried for my future

Welp, I know I just showed some work to yall, but I’m watching a presentation about portfolios for the college I’m making a submission to, and I feel so awful about my work. It’s terrible. I feel like my skills aren’t valid or good enough to get in. I’m so worried, I feel like I am not a good enough artist for that college. It’s painful. This college is pretty much all my eggs, and if it doesn’t work out, I don’t know what I’ll do.

4 Likes

I honestly realate to that feeling so much. Tbh when I looked at your art it seemed pretty professional to me, it’s very detailed and really cool, so idk what you’re talking about. But at the same time I know exactly what you’re going through. Looking at your work and redoing it over and over because you feel like something is wrong with it when other ppl think it looks great. Hell, I’ve been working on a drawing all day today and im still stuck on the face because I’m deeply pissed off at shading and I feel like it looks like crap. It gets to the point to where if I do this for too long it can make me deeply depressed and I’ll have to stop myself and take a break, because I makes me think things like that. My future, my abilities, I start to feel worthless and shitty, and then depressed and hating myself. But don’t feel like this, your work is good, it’s great, the only one seeing issues is you, because you’re the artist. I really do know how you feel. But don’t let it get you down. It sucks, I know, but it’ll be okay. You’re going to be okay. Hugs

Calm down, relax, and take a few deep breaths, you’re okay. It’s all okay.

-X

1 Like

Your art is amazing!! Don’t believe that inner critic, it’s lying to you. This is your first time doing this so it’s a learning experience. Learn from the presentations you’re watching and do your best. I bet your portfolio will be totally fine!!

It’s hard not being my own critic. I have a hard time with making something and seeing it be not good enough. I am so frustrated that I am not making master pieces, even though I know it’s unrealistic. I feel like my art is insignificant, or the odd child in the family in a way. My art lacks meaning, it is simply just a monster or creature. I do what I do because making monsters is fun, making monsters is cool. I just wish I didn’t feel like there was so much pressure on myself by myself to be perfect, and any problems I run into are all my fault.