Back to heartsupport

My brother steals from me and never admits to it

My brother has been stealing from me my entire life. Mainly because of his drug addiction but he has become a full blown kleptomaniac and doesn’t even believe in “ownership”. Hes stolen every video game and gaming console I’ve ever had. Actually, more like every electronic I’ve ever had. Including cell phones and laptops.

As of recently he has began stealing my clothes instead of electronics. I guess he sees it as a lesser evil. For whatever reason it hurts more. I’m a girl and I care a lot about fashion. You cant buy back clothes. Once a clothing item is gone it’s gone forever.

About two weeks ago a friend gave me her Tommy Hilfiger jacket and I was ecstatic. I could never afford something like that on my own. Fast forward to today and it’s nowhere to be seen. I looked everywhere. It’s gone along with hoodies, sweatshirts, pants, and more.

I confronted him about it and of course he denied it. He has never admitted to stealing any of my things EVER. It makes me feel like I’m going crazy. My uncle is around sometimes and he is also a drug addict, but has never been the stealing type. To put it into perspective my brother has been to prison twice and jail 20+ times for burglary, not my uncle. My brother is blaming it on my uncle but I just cant bring myself to believe that. He is making me feel like a monster for blaming him and threatening suicide/overdose.

I just feel like crap and IM the one who was stolen from.

3 Likes

I’m sorry that you have to endure this. It’s easy to blame the addiction but it hurts because you have little to no trust with your brother and you want to believe that your items will be safe when you are not there. Is there a way to either lock up your valuables when you are not home or get a lock to put on your door so that only you have access to your room? You’re not a monster you are just trying to cope with a difficult situation. I want you to know you are not going through this alone and that everyone here at Heartsupport will be there for you.

1 Like

Man that’s so hard. I went through this at one point in my life. I was with someone who was an addict and alcoholic. They’d take the things I have and sell it for money so they could have more smokes and food. It was rough because I barely had anything as it was.

I can only imagine how hard it must be when it’s a family member. I can relate to having family stuck in unhealthy habits and ways.

I grew up in a rough house hold and with a mother who was an alcoholic and my sister now has fallen down that path. She lies, she steals, she’s violent. Friend I know how hard it can be to feel so helpless in our feelings when our family members are making all of these unhealthy and hurtful decisions. When it starts to effect us and our life. When they begin to steal and lie to us.

It’s so hard. I totally get it.

I’m sorry friend that your brother is struggling and stealing from you so much. It’s so frustrating. I know I can’t resolve this situation for you but know that you aren’t alone and we care.

Are you in the discord? If you aren’t here’s the link.
https://discord.gg/YjtEuA It can’t fix your situation but it’s a good place to be in to be among other friends. To be around people who care and support you.

Sending you love friend.

2 Likes

Faerie,

This sucks. I’m sure it feels like you are stuck in a terrible family situation, with your brother and uncle who are addicts, and you’re just trying to find some joy during this hard time. The way you find that joy is through gaming and fashion and your brother even has to take THAT away from you. It’s like not only is he causing all of these family issues, but he also can’t let you have anything no matter how small that is JUST YOURS, to help you cope with the situation. It feels like he’s stealing so much more than just items you like, it is literally like he is taking joy and happiness from you and that’s not fair. I’m so sorry that you are going through this right now.

I wish I could help you get all of your items back. It sounds like you do have some good friends who care about you, like the one who gave you the Tommy Hilfiger jacket. I’m wondering if you could keep some of your favorite items at their house so that your brother can’t steal them.

I encourage you to spend as much time as you can with people who try to give you love and happiness more than they take it from you, because you deserve that.

Sending love

2 Likes

@Faerie

I’m sorry that your brother is doing this to you. You don’t deserve it. I have some family members who has been doing stupid things, and they haven’t change. It breaks my heart, but I have to accept the reality. Have you tried to help him? Did he rejected your help? Have you thought about distancing yourself from him?

1 Like