My brother urks me

God I really hate the doomsday prepping mindset my brother has gotten into he keeps watching stuff on tiny homes and survival stuff and it just urks me cuz he’s so worried the worlds going to end and it’s like dude it’s not if anything I should be the one that’s fucking worried I’m the one my state is going after in the form of legislation not you a dude who works at a trucking’s place and is straight and who dosent fuckin do anything about helping others and in your own words “arnt liberal cuz that would mean giving a fuck about others” fucking jaded prick waffle

4 Likes

Maybe you can talk him into making two tiny houses, one for him, one for you. I live in an almost tiny house, but we added a sun porch, so it feels pretty pleasant. If I were single, I’d probably live in a secluded cabin or a motor home, or both. I’m not talking about a big motor home either. Someone once said, “True security doesn’t lie in what you have, but what you can do without.”

There’s much to be said for living in a situation that no one can take away from you, even if it’s really small.

I built a man cave in our backyard. It wouldn’t take much to make it a tiny house. If things got really bad, we could stay in it and rent the house out.

I don’t give much thought to a doomsday scenario, but the thought of self-sufficiency really interests me.

I grew up in a time when the adults talked about an A-bomb about to be dropped on us any minute. It was the “duck and cover” era, where school children were taught to crawl under desks and cover their heads if they heard an air raid siren.

Children came to accept the possibility of the world ending, and proceeded to act like kids, having fun and talking about other things.

Apocalyptic things may happen, but prior to them happening, and perhaps especially because they might happen, it makes sense to me that we should make the best of our circumstances while we can. Because we are mortal, and don’t know what might happen to us personally or the world around us, many believe that we should live each day as though it was our last one. Some people talk about, “if it was my last day, I’d max out my credit cards and party,” or plan something similar. There was a guy hoeing his garden, and someone came up and asked, “what would you do if you knew the world was ending tomorrow?” He said, “I’d keep hoeing my garden.”

So, some people would go kinda wild, while others would conduct business as usual. I’m more of a “business as usual” kind of guy. I might skip mowing the lawn, but I’d still keep things neat, feed the cat, shower, shave, and say goodbye to a few people.

Anyway, if doomsday prepping helps your brother feel more secure, it’s best not to criticize. It’s really not possible to know how one might react when the apocalypse happens, because it would be the first time experiencing it, and it’d be like going into any unfamiliar and tension filled time, but for now, I’m at peace with what may happen. After all, it does no good to worry about things beyond our control.

That’s hilarious. I’m going to remember it.

1 Like

It’s less a criticizing him doing that and more the fact he’s become so jaded and bitter with everything and it urks me as someone who’s trying to keep her own head above water having him and my mom being incredibly jaded and negative and some times triggering it gets old

1 Like

It’s unfortunate they are that way. Many people are. I’m glad you’re not. Being jaded means your attitude is being controlled by external forces, as perceived through a filter of negativity.

I think one of the most important decisions made in a lifetime, is to avoid being jaded. Being jaded leads to a form of suffering, that usually involves depression, anxiety, bitterness, and inability to appreciate good things about others.

It usually takes at least a month, but it’s possible to condition the mind to react differently to triggers. I’ve done it in a few different ways, but I think a very basic form of self-hypnosis works pretty well. Once a day, take time to relax your body, count from twenty to zero, then visualize what you want your reaction to the trigger to be. Also say it to yourself, I usually do it three times. Then count back to twenty, and you’re done.

Some would say it isn’t hypnosis, but even if you don’t want to think of it that way, it still redirects the subconscious in a direction you choose. I’ve had it work for me in ten days, but some things took longer, but I’ve never had to do it for more than thirty days.

An unexpected side effect for me was to have a much improved memory. I still forget stuff, but if I were to grade it, I’d say I went from a C- most of my life, to a B+. For me that’s huge because my mom and grandma had Alzheimer’s by the time they were my age.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 365 days. New replies are no longer allowed.