My Contribution: An Open Letter

I love this community. I love how diverse we are, and how our differences allow us to build each other up in unique ways.

This is my contribution for World Mental Health Day;
This is an open letter to my fellow humans who carry a heavy burden on their backs, those who live with chronic medical conditions/illnesses or disabilities.

This is dedicated to those who…

Who watch as the world passes them by, knowing they can’t experience their life in the same way as their friends and family.

Who fight to be taken seriously, and for equal opportunity, in both professional and social settings.

Who don’t have a caring support system around them, or who push those away because there’s no possible reason anyone could understand how they feel.

Who battle anger and resentment towards those around them, because they couldn’t possibly fathom the pain and discomfort just from living life that you deal with on a daily basis.

Who fight just to feel physically comfortable in their own body, and whose physical comfort plays a major role in their self-image.

Who are exhausted with planning every little detail out of their day, just to fit whatever they can do into whatever window of time they have the energy to expend on.

Who find themselves constantly asking the world to meet them half way, only to be met time and again giving more than you can give.

Who question if their purpose in life is nothing more than to suffer and to be a shell of existence.

Who hate life, and who hate the hand that they’ve been dealt in life.

I want you to know that even if it often goes unnoticed, your strength is something that others often only wish they had. You are such a warrior.

A good friend had to speak some truth into my life, and he reminded me of the fact that neither you nor I were meant for the easy life. We were meant for something greater. We were meant to exemplify strength and hope to those who don’t have as much. We were meant to cut through the darkness of our stories to shine light on the beauty of it.

As tough of a pill that may be to swallow for some of you, think about it. Who else has to live the life that you live, to struggle from the moment you wake up to the moment you lay your head down at night? Not many people in this world bear the burdens that you have to bear, and nobody can actually walk a mile in your shoes because they weren’t meant to. You are meant for greater things than what this life has offered you thus far. You have the power to speak hope, strength, and love into the lives of those who are struggling alongside you. You have the opportunity to lift them up, and it’s my hope that what I do here is exactly that.

I’ve leaned on these lyrics from August Burns Red for as long as I can remember, from the song ‘Meridian’, which say “I am the painter making this mess a masterpiece.” Be the painter of your own masterpiece.

Most of all, I want you to know that you are not alone. You are not forgotten, and you never will be.

You all give me so much reason to live.

I love you friends, I always will.

Hold fast.

Matthew 5:5 - “Blessed are the meek, for they shall inherit the Earth.”

4 Likes

Holy cow dude this is so brilliant and beautiful. Goosebumps. Thank you for sharing. Bump x100000

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.