My dad has cancer

The last several days have been unbelievably taxing for me and my family. I’m still in a state of shock and disbelief.

On Friday afternoon, my dad was diagnosed with stage 3 colon cancer.

There are so many questions, and so many things we have to figure out. He needs to find an oncologist. He needs to find someone who knows what they’re doing. He needs to figure out exactly what he’s dealing with in his specific case. He needs a treatment plan.
This is stressful for my mom, and she’s taking it pretty hard. So am I. I know we have a massive journey ahead, but no one in my family knows how long it will be, or what it will be like, or what life will be like afterward. None of us know what’s going on, what’s going to happen, how it will affect my dad, or how it will affect the rest of us. But I know it will most likely have a profound effect on our lives. This is probably going to change us permanently, and there will be long-lasting implications. I just have no idea how drastically it’s going to change us, or in what ways it will change us. But we will probably never be the same.
This is insane. We’ve never been through this before. I know a lot of people are praying for my dad. But this is scary.

4 Likes

I’ll be praying for your dad too. And for you and your mom, your family and for the right doctor. I understand what you’re going through. About 17 years ago my dad got esophageal cancer. He did his absolute best to fight it, but it won. I will be praying to God that your dad receives total healing. I’ll also be praying for the peace only God can give for you and your mom as well. Also for you all to know that you can trust Him. He loves you and your dad more than anyone will ever be able to.

Hey friend,

I’m truly sorry to hear about this difficult news. Knowing that someone you love has a cancer can be very scary and you’ll need some time to process this diagnosis. It’s okay to be in a state of shock and disbelief. It’s a natural reaction and there’s nothing wrong with it. As you described, there’s a lot of uncertainties around this situation and you’ll all need some concrete perspectives, as soon as possible.

Dealing with a cancer myself, now on a road to what’s likely to be a complete remission, I realized through all of this that there’s a lot of possible outcomes when you are diagnosed and, even if it’s hard to live with a “day by day” mindset, there is hope through all of this. We’re lucky enough to live in a time when we have a certain amount of knowledge regarding the most “common” cancers and there’s a lot of very good doctors out there who are willing to do their best.

We’re in this with you, to listen, to support you and encourage you through this. I’d also recommend you to ask all the questions you need to the doctors who’d be in charge of your dad. It’s part of their job to provide their patients and family clear informations about the situation. So if at some point there’s something that you don’t understand or raise too many questions, don’t be afraid to ask them, to take some notes, whatever helps you to have a clear idea of what’s going on and what to expect. Feel always free to come here whenever you need it as well.

Sending tons of love to you, your dad and your family. Thinking of you. Rooting for you.

:hrtlegolove:

I’m so sorry to hear this… Hearing that a loved one has cancer can be very shocking and it can be hard to handle it. I know how it feels since one of my loved ones (my uncle) who is staying with me and my family has brain cancer.

I will be praying for you, your dad, and your family. I hope he is able to find treatment for it. <3