My dog’s dying... help

This is a tough one for me because my dogs are basically my entire life. I don’t know how I’d live without them.
Over the last year or so, one of our dogs has been getting gradually worse - he no longer has reflexes in his back legs which makes walking painful and difficult, and he’s strugfling to breathe which the vets think is a form of cancer. We took him for a check-up today and we got probably the worst news possible… He’s been given 6 months to live… Not only does that just rip my heart out, it means that his litter mate won’t be far behind because she has her own problems including severe arthritis. As an addict, a question we’re asked in our step work we are asked “Is there something I think I can’t get through clean?, some event that might be so painful that I’ll have to use to survive the hurt?” < my answer to this was losing 1 or all of my dogs. I don’t know how I’m gunna get through this. It already breaks my heart and out the idea of using in my head…

I don’t know if I can handle losing something that means more to me than my own damn life.
Kayla.

2 Likes

Unfortunately death is a part of life, and it’s closing in on the puppers time to go. I encourage you to focus on the good times you had together and focus on spending time with the dog as much as you can now. This is a tough topic, because generally speaking I would say don’t find happiness in someone or something else in case something happens and they’re gone. But it’s too late for that.

I don’t really have much advice for you, other then stay strong and remember it’ll be okay. It seems like the end of the world now and it will hurt when it happens but keep your head up, spend time with the dog and remember keep reaching out, keep going to therapy and talking to your sponsor. You can do this if you set your mind to it, and it’s something you really want then you will stay sober through all of this, and you will become stronger.

1 Like

“Don’t find happiness in something or someone” you’ve never had a pet have you…

1 Like

Unfortunately death is part of life and it’s sadly normal to lose someone sooner or later.

I love dogs so much and I can’t even imagine a life without mine, but I know someday we’ll have to part ways.

Lucky for you, there are a lot of puppies waiting to be picked up. I know it won’t be the same thing (the memories…) but it’ll do. I’ve had two dogs in the past and both died fighting with other dogs. It hurts, but every new dog is a new friend. I still think about them sometimes, but there’s not much you can do about it unfortunately…

Love you ╳

1 Like

I have. I carried my dying dog into the vet as she was taking her final breaths after getting hit by a car. The only pet I ever had and the dog I had for 16 years. So yes I have. And I loved that dog.

1 Like

@Kayla

I had a lot of dogs who passed away. I know how you feeling. Pets comfort you when you don’t have a fellow human to do so. Your dog will be in Heaven, gracefully. Take your time to be sad, and go through it. You need it. I’m sorry.