My life is seemingly going nowhere

I am 21 legally an adult right? Here’s where the problem lays I’m physically disabled and as a result almost completely physically dependant on other people to help me do the basic things that others sometimes take for granted. when i was 15 i was diagnosed with mild to moderate depression by my pediatrician, my then pediatrician said, in short, my depression is largely due to my physical situation. My home life can be for lack of better words at this moment, very stressful at times and when you put that with my 14-year-old sister, my grandparents whom my sister and I both live with and my physical needs things get a little crazy. I’ve been told by my sister that if I need her she won’t have my back. I’ve been told a lot of things that are negative towards me that I’d rather not share right now and every time i bring up moving out im shot down. My mother is my payee of my SSI but for the better part of 4 years, she has refused to transfer it into my name. so, therefore, i have no money to move out. i feel powerless to move out even if i know there are plenty of resources out there I am scared to use them because it will change my life as i know it. Not only that but because of my physical needs moving out would require a lot of extra planning. In the last 2 years, my depression has worsened due to being stuck in a house where most of the time I’m not happy because of all the negativity that happens within it. After concerning my doctor’s staff recently by saying i was having racing suicidal thoughts and went to my local hospital and long story short was informally diagnosed with anxiety by someone from the hospital’s crisis unit. the outcome wasn’t shocking because my family always thought i had been dealing with anxiety for most of my life.PLEASE HELP I’m struggling with all this mostly on my own.

Hi there dt2021! ( ´ ▽ ` )ノ

Thank you so much for coming here and sharing. I’m so sorry that you’re going through this and that your family has been extremely unsupportive of you as well. :broken_heart:

Moving out can definitely be scary—especially if it’s your first time! Being on your own is a huge life change and I imagine it’s even more intimidating when you’re physically disabled and need to be dependent on others.

You mentioned that there are plenty of resources out there for you to take advantage of. Maybe you can heavily research those and formulate a game plan if moving out is something you really want to do?

I find that when I research my options and come up with plans (and backup plans) I feel more comfortable with making decisions and life changing choices (I’m a total Virgo LOL).

Also, maybe there are some online (or local!) support groups for folks with your disability? They may be able to give you advice, encouragement, and inspiration as to what to do in your situation too!

In regards to your SSI—I’m wondering if maybe there’s a legal way for you to transfer it, yourself, into your name? Especially since you’re 21 now.
I don’t have any knowledge in that arena, but I hope that there’s some way you can get that changed because that SSI rightfully belongs to you.

Sending you lots of good vibes! :sparkling_heart::sparkling_heart:

-Deer

1 Like

@dt2021

Change can be scary. But sometimes it is worth it to take a risk, to step out into the unknown in order to discover the amazing opportunities awaiting us. What does it hurt to reach out to the resources out there? If you don’t try, you will never know what your future could hold! I would definitely explore ways in which you can move out. You said your home life can be very stressful. So, even if moving out is stressful, at least you are moving out of a stressful environment. This could help you feel less stressed in the long run, even if you deal with more stress temporarily while moving out.

I would definitely look into getting your SSI transferred into your name. Since you are 21, I would imagine you have the right to do that on your own.

Explore your options. Things don’t have to stay the same. But you’ll never know unless you try! :slight_smile:

1 Like

@dt2021

First off thank you for sharing all of this with us. I know it may seem like something small and simple to do but truly you are giving us all a chance to provide you with the love and compassion you truly deserve.

I want to say that I am no expert but I do know a lot of what you are going through right now. I myself struggle with multiple disabilities that make it impossible to live alone. I have physical limitations and others that stop me every day. Currently I am going to be honest with you and say I am not in the best place so I would love to help you more just my own state of mind is getting to me. I have been in this almost exact same spot with a parent. I battle for years to get out of that place and let me tell you it is possible because I am currently in a place with people who really do care about me who really do love me. So know that you can do this. I would love to chat more. I would love too. Once my mood gets back up I will hopefully if I dont forget come back and reply some more. BUT YOU ARE NOT ALONE IN THIS. I am here and I will help all I can.

Hold fast and know that this is not the end.
Ash

1 Like

@dt2021 Here is the video response from our live stream:

Hold Fast.

2 Likes